Parking fees

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Parking fees

Post by Ozzie »

We have been up at Fingal Bay Port Stephens for a few days. The scourge of paid parking has now extended from Nelson Bay out to encompass the smaller satellite towns. This doesn’t worry us normally as we are staying in the caravan park and walk everywhere but apparently regional councils are now starting to echo the fundraising monster that people in Sydney and other such metropolitan areas have to live with.

The Bay used to only have paid parking in the main town. No doubt it will spread to the big ramp at Soldiers Point where we normally launch our fishing cat in time. Trailer sailors are particularly burdened by this I guess as it’s not worth rigging and launch for a few hours like a fisherman would. Not I f you want a nice day sailing. So seven hours is $31.50. If it’s the same rate as the town/ beach. Trailer boats in Fingal have to launch on the beach and park on the street. Locals are able to access free parking but time limits apply.

Trying very hard not to touch on politics here but it’s boat related. We are fortunate in LM that we are not really considered a tourist town. We may avoid this for a while . What’s it like where you are and what are the fees to park your trailer for the day?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Parking fees

Post by Andrew »

Sorry to hear about the councils ramps fees in some tourist spots of NSW Ozzie,

It hasn't happened in Qld as yet thankfully, and hope it stays that way. (Tsv paid parking is only in the CBD area).

Was searching for "ramp fees qld" and digressing a bit here, found out from Transport and mainroads dept (Qld TMR) that it's illegal for boatless cars to drive onto any boat ramp.

The main point. Also found on MSQ (Maritime safety Qld) site, that public boats ramps are all "no charge" in Qld. (There are some private ramps with a fee though, eg Molongle creek caravan park, access to Cape Upstart Nat park, between Ayr and Bowen)
MSQ ramps no charge
MSQ ramps no charge
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Civilised up there mate. I don’t think PS are currently charging to park your boat and trailer for the day but as far as I know that is the case in Sydney. I know the principle of user pays is becoming normal but it seems a case of “if people want new facilities someone has to pay for them”.

Im often wondering, do people want new facilities? At the cost of 30 bucks for a day at the beach! Really? Try asking them.

Fingal Bay has just had a big concrete footpath added along the beach front. Ok but personally I don’t think that really adds $30 a day value to using the beach . Everything else is the same as it had been for years. I know young people who are struggling with the cost of living and things like a day at the beach(or parking your boat trailer) used to be free. This stuff just grows up and we come to accept it.

Some dreadful people might say the reason for this stuff is so potential candidates at the next council election can trot it out . It would be churlish of me to say such things , so I won’t. :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

As an afterthought, and from my own professional experience. All these new roads and bypasses being built are not maintained by fairy dust either. With new and bigger roads come new and bigger road maintenance bills. Also of course the old bypassed routes still need maintenance. Expect bigger state rego fees over the coming years. Real soon now!!

Rant over :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ok . I’ve just done a search and as far as I can ascertain boatramps are not charging parking for car/trailer in Sydney but I thought I remembered complaints of such in other forums, maybe VIC. The problem is I’d say in place’s with crowded ramps , once car/trailer spaces are full you are forced into paid street parking .

In Fingal all boats launch down a prepared council ramp onto the beach . This is launching only, so you have to park on the paid street parking now. No options. Wonder if you have to pay for two spots one for car one trailer!! I hope I’m wrong but there is rarely a wallet that governments don’t want to get a hand into eventually. :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB ... es#p192209

https://trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB ... es#p196367

Didn’t think I’d imagined reading about fees. This was 2019. Did they all get abolished or is it still left up to individual councils. Peter Yates if you are still reading, what is now the policy in Victoria? Just curious,
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)