Plough anchor

Roscoe

Plough anchor

Post by Roscoe »

My plough anchor has given up the ghost after all these years. I seem to recall that someone was saying that the current Whitworth's 4.5 kg plough will fit in the well after a little surgery . Can anyone advise ?
Roscoe
Yara50

Re: Plough anchor

Post by Yara50 »

You could even be lucky and have it fit without surgery. All I did was grind down one of the side stops to allow a little more movement. Feed it in with the rear flukes first, then follow with the shank.
In position
In position
P1310519 (WinCE).JPG (15.66 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Little bit of side lug ground off.
Little bit of side lug ground off.
P1310518 (WinCE).JPG (15.38 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Thats good enough for me , will pick up one tomorrow. Thanks Ian
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Still trawling and found this little gem of an idea this morning.

You may recall I had a little problem with my anchor slipping and being driven onto a lee shore. My anchor, on that occasion, was a Danforth style, quite lightweight whose most redeeming quality was, I could fit it in the anchor well along with about 10m of chain and some nylon rope.

In its defence, I was attempting to set it in a muddy river bed.

I had a CQR in my collection, a more useful general purpose anchor IMO, but I could not make it fit in the anchor well until I carried out Ian's modification this morning. Beautiful!

I have another Danforth which I carry as a spare along with about 150m of nylon rope.

A very belated thanks, Ian, from me.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

My boat came with two anchors: both Danforths, but one heavier than the other by a kilo or two at least, plus sterner chain and nylon rope.

I know it depends on where and when you might be anchoring, but do most of you out there carry one or two anchors, and what type and size do you find works best for the Investigator's unique design and weight?

Also, I'm thinking that most use the lighter anchor as a stern pick, just in case.

I would welcome your views please!

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
no way

Post by no way »

Yeah, I use a CQR modified as suggested with about 12m of chain - 6m of 5/16" off the anchor and 6m of 1/4" to the 10mm silver rope line. You need about an 8S danforth to hold any good in sand and again about 10m of chain (I carry this set up in a plastic storage bin in the cockpit locker for stern anchor only. An 8S will not fit the the anchor locker for sure.