up coming trips for summer were next are you sailing

General Sailing Talk
atles

up coming trips for summer were next are you sailing

Post by atles »

summer is on it way and i love to know what trips are coming up for summer for you guys :D

i am looking at doing the tweed river
i will have to not take the mast as too many power lines
but i was looking on youtube and a other trailer sailor did it and it looked so lovely.
also looking at Clarence river lots on docks and jetty's next to pubs so i have too do that one too.

on the wish list is the Barrier Reef well some of it what about you !!
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
no way

Re: up coming trips for summer were next are you sailing

Post by no way »

Have you looked at the Clarence River Classic
4-9 October
Clarence River Y.C calendar here
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_pag ... sID=326153
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

It might be Goolwa SA for us this year. Never sailed there before.
Peter
Pip #127
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

atles wrote:i will have to not take the mast as too many power lines
Hey Atles you could bring your mast with you and lean it over for the bridges/power lines?

I dont know if you use a furler, that might complicate my method (i only have a jib downhaul line), if your bow roller is the same as mine it has 2 attachment points. I have the forestay clipped into one attachment point with a highfield lever and a block attached to the other attachment point. The idea is to pass a line through the block and clip it to the forestay, then disconnect the forestay from the bow roller and walk back into the cockpit holding the line tight to keep the mast upright. I wrap the line around the sheet winch and slowly ease the mast backwards until its going to clear whatever height you need then cleat it off. To get it back up is as easy as getting your winch handle and winch it back up. I also use this method to raise the mast when I don't have help. I've never attempted this whilst underway though, i've always anchored or borrowed a mooring, i probably wouldn't want to do it in high winds or swell either. The highfield lever makes life so much easier being able to easily clip in the forestay loose and tension it to perfection in under a second, i highly recommend one, i got mine from dingyshop.com.au but I'm not sure if they still sell them.

I'll gopro my setup on the weekend if the weathers good and post it for you to take a look.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
atles

Post by atles »

no way thanks for the post i have a look :)

peter Goolwa SA looks like a lovely place to go nice lake and rivers i think you could easy spend a few weeks there

Greg please post video i would love to see how you take the mast down with your set up ! :P
atles
brisbane
Steve

Post by Steve »

Had a good 20 n/mile sail on Sunday at Garden Island. Wind started off easterly at around 18knts so we hoisted the main with a 2nd reef and my brand new jib and had the 563 flying along.The wind slowly died down so I eventually hoisted the full main. I managed to get knocked by a strong gust which just heeled us right over and rounded us up to weather. I sailed along way to windward hoping for a return under spinnaker but the wind changed with the sea breeze so I had to sail to windward on the way back as well. My boat speed was above 4knts all day with good stints at 5.8knts. Pretty happy with my new sail, heaps of power and no more flapping leech
new sail.JPG
Heading west out of the South channel. Wind was behind me and had dropped off. Boat was still making 4knts
atles

Post by atles »

had a week end at peel island getting up ever morning at anchor to this
makes my day :D

arrr the sailing life !!
bad news broken trailer on the way home had to get a tow truck yes the boat fits on a tow truck
the spring that bolt on to the trailer the frame broke off dropping the mudguard on to the tyre :roll:
but still a good week end now out with the welder
12092613_683631928404436_806939508_n.jpg
atles
brisbane
Steve

Post by Steve »

Had a great sail on the weekend In Geographe bay, Got hammered by 25 knt winds for our return leg back to the Marina. Started out as a dead down wind sail home but a wind shift put us on a broad reach. Two reefs in the main and the jib up had us planning at 7.6 knots,,, and then as the bullets or gusts of wind hit us we would broach. I couldn't ease the main sheet enough at that point of sail to control the helm and bearing away was taking us too far off course. I ended up dropping the jib and sailing home on the reefed main. I should have dropped the main and just sailed with the jib but a small tech hiccup and we dropped the jib. We where still making over 5 knots on the reefed main.
The missus has just gained a hell of allot more confidence in the 563 as there was times she was looking to shore to see how far it was to swim.
I checked the weather data which is recorded from the end of the Busselton jetty( which we sailed within 100m of) and the wind was 25 gusting to 35, my anemometer was off the richter scale.?>The worse thing about the sail was 6 hours we spent on the road for a day sail .
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Dr. Peter wrote:It might be Goolwa SA for us this year. Never sailed there before.
The family thing in SA isn't going to happen now, so we have decided to do Port Phillip Bay working from the Pier 35 marina. It will be very different to our usual Gippsland Lakes.
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Post by Mark »

All

Summer in the Bay I always love it.

It will be silly and crowded at the ramps, with out of towners behaving badly as per usual. Regardless I plan to get out as much as possible. Contemplating mooring or marina options for a week to avoid ramp rage.

Already had a couple of pleasant days on the water and expect a few challenging days once the NE winds kick in - here already some days and they are making their presence felt.

If I can't sail I will play in my rubber rib, or tinny or be on the water as a crew master at Marine Rescue. I expect a lot of water time over the next few months.

My bucket lists says I need to tick off a couple of small coastal excursions and hoping this summer I will be able to do those also.

Already tinkering on Aminee to get her in tip top condition for summer.

Cheers

Mark