Investigator insignia

General Sailing Talk
geoffr

Re: Investigator insignia

Post by geoffr »

Hi again:

I've also now finished the logotype drawing.

I attach it as a small TIFF file below, but can send it to anyone who's interested as an Illustrator file, or a PDF, at the normal size.

Again, just send me a PM.

Cheers,
Attachments
Inv_logotype_01.tif
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.zazzle.com.au/cr/design/pt-z ... stable_cap

Geoff admiring your drafting and thought I would throw in the above site. I did the pic below on their design template (Red 24 pt text on radius10 curve on black adjustable hat). Wondered if they could adapt your drafting to a hat with the" I " porthole symbol.

Now before I get a bunch of replies from everyone I know this sort of thing is often a pain in clubs and I know because Ive done it. Taking orders collecting money etc. But if you click the SELL link at the top of the page they will do the on sell of Geoffs art work for him or that is how it appears. Im going to get one as below anyway but thought if we had the correct artwork we may get arrrlot of takers. Also unit cost is cheaper.

They also do stickers. I doubt copyright would be an issue as nobody would have paid ongoing Trademark reg fees on an out of production product.
Attachments
HAT.JPG
HAT.JPG (23.17 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks Ozzie.

That looks a great suggestion. I might make a few inquiries.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,

I've just had a look at Razzle.com.au re a baseball style cap with the Investigator 563 logo embroidered onto it.

I'm going to order 2 x Stone coloured - logo embroidered (using John810's jpeg logo) for myself however, if anyone wants to get on board my order I'll be happy to add your order because we can share the once off $12 embroidery fee?

I'm happy to pay the once off fee for MY order however, if someone want to place an order we can halve the fee. Conversely, if 3 people order we thirds the once off $12 embroidery fee, 4 people order we quarter the once off embroidery $12 fee etc. This would obviously save people paying the once off fee for their individual order?

Discounts available:
1 hat - full price + once off embroidery fee
2 - 11 hats - 5% off + once off embroidery fee (I'm ordering 2 in stone colour)
11-50 hats 10% off + once off embroidery fee

Worth a look ?
geoffr was looking into this however, I though I might buy sooner although, if there are plan underway for a group buy I'll hold off

I could not find any way to change cap colour so I could order 2 different colours so it looks like the online order system is 1 colour per order unless we email razzle.com.au to request multiple colours in a group order/buy.

My previous experience with my 300ZX sports car forum is that although, group buys are fantastic ways of saving money including saving on post .... group buys are fraught with caution usually because people pull out or change their mind for reasons that are genuine and some that are plainly unbelievable regardless of this, people pull out or change their mind and this affects the group buy price.

Cap as in previous postings but with 'Investigator 563" logo - I think a once of fee of $12 is worth it to get the proper embroidered logo .
The cap in stone colour with the logo embroidered

Cheers, Pete
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I'm ok with the idea. I got the impression from the web site that once they get the artwork they will do the selling for you in whatever colour combo you want . Am I reading that right.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

I know this is an old thread, but a recent trip to Northern Tassie got me thinking again.

We visited the wonderful Low Head Custom's House Maritime Museum and there was an array of original portholes mounted on the wall, salvaged from various wrecks that had got a bit too friendly with the unfriendly reefs in the Tamar River estuary.

One of these (pictured below) bears a striking similarity to the Investigator insignia (at least, the swinging window part does, rather than its metal frame).

However, these porthole windows generally swing with the hinge to one side, not at the top or bottom, as the window would be too heavy and dangerous to either lift up or drop down.

So for the sake of symmetry, did the original Investigator insignia designer simply rotate the whole thing by 90 degrees, to put the hinge at the top, and the two bolt screws one either side at the bottom?

You be the judge.

Cheers,
Attachments
Investigator insignia
Investigator insignia
Inv_logo_solid_small.tif (37.98 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Port hole at Low Head Museum - note hinge on RHS, so porthole window would swing open from left to right.
Port hole at Low Head Museum - note hinge on RHS, so porthole window would swing open from left to right.
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Geoff,
Note the alternative hinge position. So without removing the hull fitting, the port can be swung from either the top or the side. Or it could be from the bottom or the side.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks Ian for that clarification.

Now that you point it out, it's pretty obvious.

I blame the Boag's beer I was drinking at the time, and those dodgy Tassie Oysters.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Interesting topic . WikiP notes that portholes also can have internal storm covers or blackout covers called "deadlights" which can serve two purposes, keeping light out for sleeping shifts or blocking light for military stealth. Your pic Geoff may have had a deadlight on the other hinge. The glass on this one is hinged at the top but it may have been smaller and lighter. It would be no fun getting beaned with a 10kg brass porthole while taking a little air :shock: The cover is on the other hinge at the side.
220px-Porthole_of_HMS_Gannet.jpg
220px-Porthole_of_HMS_Gannet.jpg (6.43 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
Also interesting to note the origin of the word.

According to the Navy Department Library, the word "porthole" has nothing to do with its location on the port side of a ship, but originated during the reign of Henry VI of England (1485). The king insisted on mounting guns too large for his ships and therefore the conventional methods of securing the weapons on the forecastle and aftcastle could not be used. A French shipbuilder named James Baker was commissioned to solve the problem, which he did by piercing the ship's sides so the cannon could be mounted inside the fore and after castles. For heavy weather and when the cannons were not in use, the openings were fitted with covers, that were called porte in French, meaning "door". "Porte" was Anglicized to "port" and later corrupted to porthole. Eventually, it came to mean any opening in a ship's side whether for cannon or not.[3]

So thats why we can have a porthole on the starboard side. 8-)

On this thread , love to see pics of your refurbished livery. And did anyone get an investigator hat made? I fully intended to but I have picked up quite a few souvenir caps lately in my OS travel and the wife thinks I have enough.... a damn sight less than she has shoes :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
seanslife

Post by seanslife »

G'Day Geoff
PM sent regarding Investigator 563 decal for hull

Cheers
Sean
Sean G
"Whispering Wind"
i563: #144