Mast Question.

enduser

Mast Question.

Post by enduser »

Hi, my first post here, and thanks to those who manage this forum.

I think I heard somewhere about the fitting of a light-weight mast to an Investigator. Has any one here any knowledge of this, particularly what boats may have suitable masts that are lighter etc.

Many thanks for any replies.
johnw810

Re: Mast Question.

Post by johnw810 »

My investigator has the lightest mast I have lifted for its size
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

The standard mast is a uniform section, and I lift mine single-handed with the help of my mainsheet and a couple of poles.
There are some boats fitted with a tapered mast section, which is lighter, and can be lifted without aids. However, if you want one of those, you may be a long time waiting, as I dont think there are many.

If you are worried about lifting, the easiest is to invest in the "mast-mate" which is a spring assistance. One of us will post the link for you shortly.
http://www.mastmate.com.au/
Sherlock raising using pole and side bridles
Sherlock raising using pole and side bridles
Yara's sheerleg arrangement
Yara's sheerleg arrangement
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
BobK

Post by BobK »

My mast is a constant section, but I can raise it single-handed without the aid of a gin pole. (I'm average height so it's not a matter of size or strength)

Don't know the section but it's not what I would have called "light" i.e. it looks substantial for the size of boat, and I had wondered if a lighter section might have been suitable.

It was purchased by the previous owner from Calypso Sailcraft in Sandgate, Brisbane. I can ask about the section if need be.
Bob
Margarita #32
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Enduser and welcome.

I have the standard nast, which was identical to the one I had on the Hartley as well.

I raise mine easily, singlehanded using a similar method to Ian. I secure my foresail halyard to the bow and feed it back to through a clutch and then to a winch. I take up the tension on the winch and then lift the mast a bit.
Take up more tension and lift a little more.
On about the third go I am able to continue pulling on the halyard and up she goes.
I then tighten up the foresail halyard even more, so that I can go forward and secure the forestay easily.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Bob
Guess you eat a good breakfast!
If you get a chance it would be great to get a series of pics of you "doing it" all by yourself without any aids.

Robert:
Most of us do not have winches, so maybe that is the key.
Ian B
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

My boat came with a brilliant rear yoke with a small roller on top which I mount on the pintles and then lift the mast from its road support onto the yoke. It has a telescoping section which makes it easy to lift the rear of the mast a couple of feet. This is the critical bit as it gives enough angle to start the final lift from the cabin top.

I am only a passably fit 63 year old with a dodgy back and after the above, I find it no effort at all to raise the mast and secure it on my own. Ditto for lowering. A bit safer to have a helper at the bow to secure the forestay but really no dramas at all and no fancy gear other than the telescoping yoke.

Hope that helps

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Peter
Sounds like you have a "Tallmate". http://www.mastmate.com.au/video/tallmate

It was made by the same people who make the mastmate, but it looks like they have dropped the product.
Ian B
kayceez

Post by kayceez »

Yes It sounds like a tall mate, they have a new one which I am waiting on but no stock at the moment :( I have only been waiting 2 months thank goodness its winter, was winter!
kayceez (sailing forum junkie)
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Ian and folks,

Prior to installing the winches, i used to raise it by attaching the trailer winch to the forestay and winching her up that way. It was very effective and easy, however you were left with the problem of how to attach the forestay once the mast was up.

I noted that Bob's boat 'Margaretta' has a small attachment on the forestay exactly for this purpose.

Cheers, Robert