my dream to come

General Sailing Talk
atles

my dream to come

Post by atles »

Hi guys
just an update photo on my other steel boat i have been working on in my driveway.
i still go out on the investigator. but one day,i have this one in the water as well.
the rebuild on the investigator only took 6 months.
This one is already up to a year. but then again, i had to fix some of the bottom steel in her hull :roll: you could see the ground in some places.
all the bit of steel had to be taken back to metal inside and out checking for rust and cut out.
new boat 13.jpg
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Yara50

Re: my dream to come

Post by Yara50 »

Wow, Atles, that is a big boat. What are the stats? Have you got the mast and sails?

I nearly bought a 29 footer this week at a bargain price, but chickened out when I thought of the time and work involved compared to my Investigator 563, where everything is already sorted. Plus Yara does not complain if she stays tucked up out of the weather under her tarp, while I slave away at work, home repairs and pool maintenance.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Nice looking vessel mate. Very modern lines. An old work mate has a steel hull sloop and sails it off shore all the time with confidence given the amounts of hard junk floating in the great briney soup. Look forward to seeing the rest of your fitout.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
atles

Post by atles »

thank guys!! yes she is 29 feet long, 9.5 wide, draft is 5.3 feet john pugh design.
i have the mast and sail in the back yard.
the boat only just fitted on a semi to get it home. better than paying $500.00 per mouth in a boat yard.

the boat will go back for launching when she is done.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Well done Atles Lovely looking boat
My dream also and I almost made it buying a Compass 29 a couple of years ago when the boat shed its propshaft 5 miles off Kiama on delivery. After a traumatic rescue and tow into Kiama harbour and forefiting 1k deposit my little investigator never looked so good. At least you will not inherit other peoples problems.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

That's a solid yacht there Atles! Glad it fitted into your back yard.

I've also got a dream-on steely in my yard. Its a 35ft wylo2 design just at hull stage, massive project including shed infrastructure etc . Here's my blog on it http://wyloyard.blogspot.com/

Steel hulls can survive almost anything, so good for serious cruising.

However, I'm more than happy with my Investigator 563 for the type of cruising i do around this coastline. So wont be changing boats anytime soon.

Cheers
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria