Cabin Window Ideas

General Sailing Talk
Zephr

Cabin Window Ideas

Post by Zephr »

Cabin Window Ideas

Hi all,

Just wondering what if anything others have done in terms of giving the cabin windows the ability to open as it's nice to have the cabin closed at times but still get some decent ventilation?

Cheers
Brett
Zephyr
Yara50

Re: Cabin Window Ideas

Post by Yara50 »

Open the front hatch and the main hatch and you will get plenty of ventilation!
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

I anchored overnight when I went on my first outing, i found it was getting a bit cold with the main hatch open and the front hatch alone wasn't doing it for me, just thought being able to slide open a side window would have been perfect :)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Zephr, this may be a solution, but I think they would be cheaper to just construct yourself.

https://theboatgalley.com/wind-scoops/

Probably you could stick a triangle of material or tarp around the hatch and secure the top with a jib halyard clipped to the forestay and the front corners tied to the pulpit base . Cheap experimental procedure anyway.

I have disconnected my struts on the front hatch, or actually they disconnected themselves, so that I can open the hatch right up or prop it open at quite a high angle. This helps funnel more air in although mozzie screens are needed if the wind drops.

Sliding windows could probably be adapted from other boats/ automotive/ caravan windows but you would want waterproof for heavy weather sailing. Also for additional air flow others online have adapted low current drawing cooling fans from computers. I've salvedged a few but have not had the impetus to experiment with them.

Other option is to set up a big flapping board like in old British movies set in India with a big counterbalanced weight to operate it by wave action.....or ...or ..I really should switch to decafe coffee :shock:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punkah
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Some good ideas there cheers Ozzie