Failure to launch and bridle solution

snoopebj

Failure to launch and bridle solution

Post by snoopebj »

As we get older we tend to have problems launching and the Investigator is no exception.
I often launch on my own and ......oh dear this sounds bad!
Seriously though I found this idea on the "other" website and adapted it to our boat and it works well. Much safer than the reverse stop/ bump launch which tends to launch your partner as well attached to the bow rope.

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... le#p167078

I bolted another roller further down the winch post through which I lead the winch strap and connect to the bridle's ss ring before launching. The bridle is a rope tied to an ss ring led through turning blocks bolted on each side of the trailer bottom frame and back to the ss ring. The bridle rope is hooked over the top of your boats' bow ss u-bolt(not attached). After unlocking the tilt lever and winching the boat out, the bridle falls away from the bow.
I leave the bridle permanently attached to the trailer with elasticated cord and hook to the winch post when not in use.
Attachments
bridle2.JPG
bridle2.JPG (45.12 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
bridle1.JPG
bridle1.JPG (35.58 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
neilmac

Re: Failure to launch and bridle solution

Post by neilmac »

Phil Carr has an interesting way of launching his Investigator. He adds another rope to the bow rope which is effectively double normal length. He shoves the boat off as normal and due to friction by the time the rope gets tight the boat has pretty much stopped moving. He then casually strolls around to the pontoon reeling in the rope. The boat is, by this time right next to the pontoon (St Kilda marina). Works well. I'm going to try it next time.

I'm also interested in the bridle idea. Would you mind posting a bigger pic or close up details when you have a moment?
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

As requested Neil
Attachments
rightbridle.jpg
bridle4.jpg
front bridle.jpg

Emrys
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Neil
I have replaced my rollers twice. Greased and adjusted them and the boat still jams on the trailer. A common problem as can be seen from the other website.
Anyhow this fix worked for me and allows me to launch on my own.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
stored bridle.jpg

Emrys
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Make sure the aft side supports are lowered. They will damage the hull and make movement harder.

With my new rollers I have the opposite problem. Cant get the winch cable hook off because the boat is already starting to roll away. Have to rig a snapshackle system to release under load.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

When the trailer was refitted with new rollers and adjusted, the side roller tolerances were also the first things to be checked so no pressure on the hull.
Talking to a couple of owners with the similar problem we suspect the Investigators' wide keel bottom and uneveness either through manufacture or years of being ran aground by different owners causes the jamming. The mystery continues...
Very happy that you have the "opposite problem" though Ian.

Emrys
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

No sure I made the point about the aft side rollers or pads. They need to be raised for towing, but before launching they need to be dropped by about 30mm. Otherwise the deeper part of the hull has to climb over them. This takes a bit of force and stresses the hull.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Great idea Emrys. I tried it out today in the yard to move the boat back on the trailer so I could swing the cb down to repair the ring for the pull rope.

I did not do the full set up but looped a webbing belt from one side of the trailer around the top of the retrieval ring on the bow and then down to a hand puller winch I've had since my old 4wd days. This was suitably shackled to the opposite side of the trailer frame and Bobs ya dads brother ...it moved the boat a good six feet .

Normally this requires lots of jack repositioning and driving the car forward, but I only had to use and move the jack a few times for the last bit to position the boats end on a stand. Welding a new pull ring tomorrow morning after spending the weekend polishing and antifouling.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Thanks Ian
Good to hear Ozzie
Good luck with your cb welding job. Mine is stuck and I'm postponing this job till funds permit.
Have an outing with other T/S this weekend so will test out ( in searing 37c heat!)
Cheers

Emrys