Jib Hanks

neilmac

Jib Hanks

Post by neilmac »

Hi Guys. Before I ask my question would also like to add my thanks for Ian for keeping this site running and hope that all have had a good xmas period. It's been crap weather around the Bay so far this so-called summer and have yet to get the boat in the water but hope to do so this week.

Anyway, I'm thinking of changing the jib hanks (older twist type - or puzzle hanks) for plastic piston style. My main issue is being able to pull down the jib with the down haul I have set-up. It just doesn't work with the older jib hanks as the bunch up which means I have to go down to the bow and pull the job down. Is this the right thing to do or do you have a better solution? Also their were 16 hanks so I guess I will need 16 piston hanks?
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Yara50

Re: Jib Hanks

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Neil. I have the old twist type and the piston type, but not much difference. I think the trick is to have the downhaul sliding on a shackle around the forestay, and having it above the second hank, and not the top one.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
neilmac

Re: Jib Hanks

Post by neilmac »

Hi Ian.

Thanks for that, makes sense, I will give that a go. The piston hanks are not cheap.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic