Inflatable PFD warning.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Inflatable PFD warning.

Post by Ozzie »

http://ab.co/2dZS90j

This was on ABC website today. I thought I would bring it to the forums attention.

I have read several articles before indicating some concerns over the reliability of inflatable PFDs including some from people who had accidentally inflated them and found them faulty.

As per this article I am a bit hard on my gear and I do fish which includes the use of sharps like knives and hooks . This is why we choose non inflatables. Ours are vest style PFD2s ( now called level 50 ) which are more comfortable to wear all day than bricks or even some of the newer level 150s but still comply with enclosed water regs. I have a kayak style with two zip pockets in which I keep a whistle on a lanyard, cyalum light stick and a small sunscreen. We can also swim much easier if we have to in these. If you have ever tried swimming in the basic PFD 1 you will know how hard it is

We still have PFD 1 s on board for all persons. I like the security of knowing my jacket will float me no matter what.

I'm curious if forum members have had any failure when testing inflatable PFDs seeing as they have now been around for a while.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Re: Inflatable PFD warning.

Post by Mark »

C few comments

I have a number of inflatable LJ classed as Level 100 under the recent changes to naming conventions (old name Type 1). Each year I check these jackets by opening them up and checking state of CO2 cylinder i.e. signs of corrosion etc and it is also recommended to check weight on kitchen scales, the weight ff a charged cylinder should be stamped on the outside.

I manually inflate each LJ (blow though top up tube) and leave on workbench for 24 hrs. If no air loss then I deflate and repack. I also note date checked and write on inside of jacket. These simple checks plus a visual overall check for general condition etc go a long way to ensuring the LJ stay in top working condition.

I do not care for the auto inflate jackets as an accidental exposure to a wave may activate these. However I would use for an elderly or disabled person who may have difficulty in accessing the rip cord of a manual inflate.

I like the inflatable 100+ jackets for sailing, and I note recently in my local boating shop even further streamlined 100+ jackets which are now really very small and non-invasive. If I was a fisher with hooks flying around them I may go for the non-inflatable 100+ instead.

I am not aware of faulty LJ in the market although there are lots of cheap ones around which may be more prone to leaks, but the annual checks should pick this up. I am aware of one case at Marine Rescue where a person saved from the water claimed his jacket was faulty, turned out he didn't know how to pull the rip cord correctly.

Cheers

Mark