Winch cable alternatives.

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Winch cable alternatives.

Post by Ozzie »

My original galvanised steel winch cable is no longer safe . It has fraying and even though I always cover the cable with a heavy hessian bag when winching for safety I'm not going to risk it this haul out.

I have a seat belt strap type winch cable I bought in a box of marine gear from a garage sale. It's new and still in the original packaging and rated to take the weight but I have read a few comments in various places on the net giving them a bad report . Hard to attach securely, lose mechanical advantage as the windings grow etc.etc.

Anyone used one and found pros or con? Spectra is another alternative or course but as I only use the full function of the trailer once year for annual haul out that may be overkill. I can't really complain about the gal cable as its 37 years old so may just buy another.

As an aside for newbies I was once being dragged from a boggy spot by my brother. We had a long tow cable and it was not wire but two ropes well damped down with canvas. Short story, one broke and whipped the hook or fitting we joined them with through the back window of his commodore wagon... expensive afternoon for me.

Moral. Never underestimate the forces built up on any form of cable under pressure. Keep all bystanders well away when retrieving your boat and particularly children . Even inside the car is probably not a good idea. There are many stories you can google on winch cable accidents. Hession bags, canvas or old carpet squares over your cable are a good idea. They may not remove risk completely but may save an eye or a life.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Re: Winch cable alternatives.

Post by Greg »

Mine is a seat belt strap type. Does the job but can be annoying to keep it flat on the winch when pulling the boat up. It has a tendency to bunch up on one side and you need to make sure its not twisted when you attach it to the boat.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks Greg, I may as well give it ago then and see. As I don't use it regularly it will probably do the job.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ozzie
I bought a new winch a while back and immediately replaced the strapping with Dymena, it has strengrh of the steel cable or exceeds it but reduces friction on the drum and does not fray like steel

Cheers
Mark
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I bought a Spectra type cable on special from BCF about a month ago. Have not tried it on the water, but it worked well hoisting the boat back onto the trailer from the floor of the warehouse. My only concern is that it might be hard to unwind when next I retrieve the boat.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks to all for your feedback. I will experiment with the strap but am ordering some bulk spectra on eBay to redo most of my running rigging this haulout so I will order sufficient for the winch as well.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yara50 wrote:..... My only concern is that it might be hard to unwind when next I retrieve the boat.
Ian it looks that way on the drum but behaves normally in my experience.