Internet users and NBN

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Internet users and NBN

Post by Ozzie »

As we are all Internet users I thought I would ask the question has anyone got the NBN yet.

We have, and my wife is "not happy Jan". No company names mentioned but our previous adsl 1 system had hit snails pace since they introduced streaming movies particularly during peak times. We signed up for NBN with another telco who promised speeds of up to 25 googlewhatsits down . Bunk . We are now connected and are getting about what we did on the old telco before they let Atilla and his Huns stream movies 24/7. Web pages still take time to load and you tube vids stutter. Most disappointing.

I hope they get digital telephones better than this when we all have to have them next year . If its anything like digital tv and digital radio and NB %#^+% N people will start having trouble connecting to emergency services and people will die.

Anyone having similar experiences?? :twisted:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Re: Internet users and NBN

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Ozzie. Good to see you supporting a new prospective owner in the other thread.

I wonder about the "NBN". It is fibre to the node, so the question is where is the node? It may be that the NBN is in your district, but the node is not in your street.

Where I am we have cable, plus a safe Federal seat, so we will be the last to get the NBN! However, we were getting slow speeds in the last two or so weeks, and it turned out our Motorola modem was in a batch which tended to overheat, and once replaced, the speed and drop-outs improved. Also, there was a lot of lightning damage in the Sydney region lately, and apparently that has also had an effect.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Steve

Post by Steve »

The small town where I live has just got it's NBN tower a few months back. We now have a NBN wireless connecton to the Tower. The Speed is fantastic and now, just today,, we up graded our eftpos facility to run though the network.
We also have a net phone which works fine and we find we can stream things like netflixs and youtube now :D .
The NBN service is great but we still have no mobile phone network in town due to a blackspot. We are 6kms from the nearest phone tower but we get zilch.
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

I have had ADSL2 for a while through iinet. Recently noticed that my download speed has dropped from a very good 12mbps to 7.6mbps. Damn streaming movies. I think the connection box is reasonably close - maybe within half a K. Anyway, it still connects to our house through 40 year old copper wire via a house 2 doors away! So would a NBN "node" presumably in the same pit help me. Don't know. If you can get a NBN cable directly into your house it would be great. if it just replaces ADSL and then still goes through the old copper wires...not so sure.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
no way

Post by no way »

You gotta get into your head that the technology is there for the telco to sell you not so you get a good service. Just try to get an technician who knows something about the technology to come on site and actually test things. If you can talk to one he will only sit in front of a computer and tell you what should be happening. Had the same problem with trying Wireless Broadband. I live in Inner western Sydney - Was first told the 4G tower was only 500m from me - yeah but its on the other side of the hill MATE. So I can also see from my bedroom window the newest latest greatest cell tower which emits (according to the technician) a gazzillion hertz signal that can penetrate walls of buildings easily - oh but it doesn't point quite at me! - Great so they try to sell me a hundreds of dollars worth of aerials and boosters (which I did get for free (but we have to charge you for it and then credit you back). Think I ended up with enough WiFi signals bouncing around the place that the toast was cooking before I got it out of the bread bin. Anyway its all to no avail and everything has gone back and after a war I got credits for most of what I never received but they had the gaul to charge for. Now I think everything has slowed up and gone weird because Mr Microsoft keeps popping up trying to get me to change to Windows 10 and is giving grief for not playing along.
Sorry for the Rant boys but the bank's being just as "helpfull" at the moment too.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Same story Neil, same mob although we switched telcos on NBN as I didn't like their denial that streaming was responsible. They must think we all have "stupid" written on our forehead .

Ian you are right about the node, some people in our suburb are far away but the NBN techo pointed it out to me and its less than 200m away from us. A real telstra guy we had repairing a lightening strike awhile back said that the NBN would really show up the flaws in the old copper infrastructure. When you think about it its the same technology my late dad was running into houses when he was a junior telephone mechanic in the 40s for the PMG. And even then it was old technology.

You can I understand get fibre to the house @ $1500 :shock: :shock:

My wife bought me a digital house radio for xmas ...or course NO repeater stations in Newcastle , second largest population in the state . So when the wind blows the wrong way its A...B.....,,,DEF......JKLM...... You get the picture. After enjoying a honeymoon with technology I think sadly too many accountants/manager types have got their mitts in the pie and we are going backwards.

New stuff should be at least as good as what is replaces ALL the time not just better SOME of the time and %^%%$ the rest.

Glad to hear one positive story Steve.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Speed test
Attachments
speed 2.jpg
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

wow. That is impressive. I work in video production from my home studio and I'm continually dealing with large files. For example yesterday uploaded a 400MB video clip to a client. Took for ever. I hope NBN gets to Elsternwick before I retire.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
atles

Post by atles »

you lot did better than me,
we move in to our new house and they forgot to
put cable under the road in all the street. :cry:

took for ever to fix,s up .
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Joined the info superhighway in Townsville, Got the NBN 200GB/month connected this week, its much faster for an order of magnitude more data for very little extra monthly cost to the old 4G 8GB/mth mobile broad band system . miles cheaper per GB

They drilled and put cables in last year but took us techno-phobes about 6 months to think about it and sign up

Tested on utube ran HD , very clear, no glitches . so far looks vastly better

Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria