Time for a new trailer

General Sailing Talk
Yara50

Re: Time for a new trailer

Post by Yara50 »

Bob
The key issue is not to load the skeg by launching or retrieving without tilt, and the trailer high above the water.

My preference is to tilt, as it keeps the wheel bearings out of, or only just under, the water. Then there is the advantage that the boat self-discharges nicely.

A compromise could be to launch with the tilt, and retrieve by dunking the trailer.
I still like to use the tilt on retrieve, but only after feeding the bow onto the first rollers and into the guides. This keeps the boat straight in cross winds. Once she is up a bit, I then release the tilt.

BTW, don't forget the key to good bearing life is decent bearing inner seals, as discussed in my other post. I still have a set of free "Ford" (45mm axle) inner seals waiting for anyone who needs them.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
BobK

Re: Time for a new trailer

Post by BobK »

Thanks Ian.

I have to say that the tilt works well. On retrieve, the boat self centres quite well as soon as you get the nose between the guide rails (mine has wooden carpeted guides plus wobble rollers for the hull) with or without tilting/dunking.

I've noted your posts re trailer bearings (mine are Holden) and keeping a close eye on them. So far so good.

Might dunk a little more on retrieve as you suggest, just to reduce the winching load. On retrieve the bearings will be cold and if they are only just in the water then the pressure will be modest, so it's probably a good compromise. Launching is definitely easier using the tilt to advantage.
Bob
Margarita #32