Time for a new trailer

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

Time for a new trailer

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

Trailer woes again. There we were holding up all the boats at the ramp, when the tilt limiter chail broke.
I should have then launched the boat again and created an improvised limiter, but no.....I plowed on, pulling the boat up a rather steeper incline than normal and we were almost home.....when, Siddenly, the winch post gave way at the rear of the base and leant over and touched the boat.

So, With a gather crowd of advisers and just folks hoping for a winning video, for this years funniest home video show, we relaunched.
Placed a tilt limiter rope on, and straightened up the post and tied it upright with another strong rope and started the whole process again.

Folks are nice, giving helpful advise, even though I didn't ask.
"It'll break"
"Don't like the look of it"
"well whatcha know, it worked"

So, with the boat loaded, we headed home. Stopped halfway to check everything....and....."What's all this smoke coming off the left hand wheel?"
Arhghhh...the bearings collapsed!!!!!
I only just replaced that last month!!!!

I think I'll look at a new trailer.

Oh the things that happen to you when you're having a life.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Re: Time for a new trailer

Post by Yara50 »

Sorry to hear of your trailer woes Robert.

However, your trailer may be salvageable, specially when you look at the price of a new one. If the main frame of your trailer is still sound, it is probably worth repairing.

Winch posts can be bought stand-alone.
Wheel Bearings- I have written a lot in the past about these. The answer is real inner seals, not the silly design they call "marine". The Dura Hub oil conversion includes a spring loaded seal "Guest" Brand, No 28560 if you have the "Holden" bearings (40 mm axle shaft). For the "Ford" or "Slimline " bearings it is no 28600. In fact, if you have that larger size (Ford), I can send you a pair.

If it is any consolation, at least you got to go sailing.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Ian and fellow Investigators,

Why did the bearing go? Well it is not the first time. It went recently and on that occassion I didn't notice till there was nothing there at all....just the hub and the axle. Not even a single roller from the bearing. Just the marine quality grease, working above and beyond the call of duty.
Consequently the hub was not in the best condition.
Since this was discovered at the boat ramp, I fitted a new bearing there and then....thanks to the guys from Muir Marine at Manly, who kindly lent me the tools.

A few weeks later I checked the other bearing and decided to replace it too. At the same time I noticed that the first one was a bit loose so I tightened it up....!!!

So, did I tighten it too much? Is it because the hub should be replaced? Should I replace the axle too?

The winch post can be rewelded or replaced....no real drama.
A new and stronger tilt limiting chain can be welded on...no drama.

I thank you Ian fro your advice. I'll go and seek those bearings. From any bearing distributor?? Or best from a trailer parts place?

I'm starting to think about a fix it up job. Money is starting to gat a bit tight.

Cheers, Robert
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Oh yes,

And Ian you are right. I did get a sail in, and with my son..whom I admire greatly.
He's been working hard.
Studying full time, working part time to pay his own way in the world, and saving up for a deposit on a house.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Robert
The retaining nut should not be screwed on tight. As the hub heats up things expand and it needs a little play. Typically they say turn it till it tightens up- but not a heavy torque, and then back it off between a quarter and a half turn. Always fit a new split pin.

If possible I would hang on to the hub you have got, I have had a lot of hassles trying to adapt new hubs to the brake mounting plates. As long as the bearing outer parts fit with a slight interference fit it should be OK. The axle surface where the inner seal sits needs to be smooth, but if not you can fit a speedisleeve. (There is a lot of info on the TSP site under the technical section on this).

I am thinking of coming up to Brissy in the next couple of weeks, and maybe we can catch up and check out your trailer.
Ian B
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Ian,

Please feel free to drop round if you are up. It would be great to meet you.

You are welcome to view the trailer, but be warned, it has seen better days.

Cheers, Robert
graham5494

Post by graham5494 »

RobertB wrote:Hi Folks,

Trailer woes again. There we were holding up all the boats at the ramp, when the tilt limiter chail broke.
I should have then launched the boat again and created an improvised limiter, but no.....I plowed on, pulling the boat up a rather steeper incline than normal and we were almost home.....when, Siddenly, the winch post gave way at the rear of the base and leant over and touched the boat.

So, With a gather crowd of advisers and just folks hoping for a winning video, for this years funniest home video show, we relaunched.
Placed a tilt limiter rope on, and straightened up the post and tied it upright with another strong rope and started the whole process again.

Folks are nice, giving helpful advise, even though I didn't ask.
"It'll break"
"Don't like the look of it"
"well whatcha know, it worked"

So, with the boat loaded, we headed home. Stopped halfway to check everything....and....."What's all this smoke coming off the left hand wheel?"
Arhghhh...the bearings collapsed!!!!!
I only just replaced that last month!!!!

I think I'll look at a new trailer.

Oh the things that happen to you when you're having a life.

Cheers, Robert
Gidday Robert . Trailers are a curse ! I too am considering a replacement trailer . I would appreciate any leads or advice that you obtain . So far I have found Swiftco in Sandgate Road , Deagon . A new braked trailer there would cost around $2800 . I have not found any scond hand ones yet . Good luck with yours . Graham
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Graham
Watch out for new cheap trailers. Most are designed for stinkboats and do not tilt. That is OK if you are happy to go swimming when you launch. If you don't dunk the trailer and there is no tilt, you will impose very high loads on your skeg.
Drowning the trailer when there is no tilt.<br />(Apologies to Robert-)
Drowning the trailer when there is no tilt.
(Apologies to Robert-)
Ian B
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

Well, I decided to rebuild the existing trailer.
With the help of Oddjohn of trailersailerplace fame, we removed the axle and spring assemble, which was a prefab unit and had a trailer axle expert replace it.
The new one has a single galv springs, galv hubs, heavier axle, ford bearings and the proper marine bearings that Ian advises us to use.
Before bolting the new one on, we inverted the trailer and cleaned it all up, priming with red oxide and painting with a top coat of metal protecting paint. Welding up holes and the like.
We replaced all the roller spindles (which were made of mild steel and had bent) with high strength galv construction bolts.
We wrapped the axle in grease impregnated cloth that comes in a roll. You wrap it round then rub it spreading the grease and sealing everything.
It looks a lot better. Neat even. The new axle prefab bolted on a little further back and now the balance of the boat on the trailer gives more weight to the front and the whole thing pulls better and the problem i had had of swaying has seemingly dissappeared.
I renovated the brakes and replaced the cable and they work well now too.
It is all a tad higher than it was before, so i'm glad that the builder who built the boat port gave me a little clearance. It all still fits.
When I launched and retrieved the other day I was able to do so without wetting the axle and bearings. Mostly because I used a different ramp which was much steeper.
I am happy with the result and believe that I will get a good many uears out of the trailer now that it has been rebuilt.

Cheers, Robert
BobK

Post by BobK »

After following the saga of Robert's trailer, I had another look at our launching/retrieval technique.

We have a Manta trailer (original Investigator trailer I assume) with tilt. But we've been dunking the trailer over the hubs in the belief that this was "the way to do it". Have had no problems with the bearings (so far) although I've repacked them and keep them greased regularly (plus bearing buddies).

Last weekend we kept the hubs out of the water, and made better use of the tilt. Found that the boat literally flies off the trailer (wheras before it could be a bit reluctant). Retrieved it OK although with the tilt it's a bit steeper getting onto the trailer, and a higher load on the winch. I can still winch it on by hand OK, although there's obviously more load on the winch post, which of course is where Robert came to grief.

Any advice? To tilt or not to tilt, that's the question. Keep the bearings dry and put more load on the trailer, or dunk and risk the bearings?
Bob
Margarita #32