Newbie looking for i563

General Sailing Talk
seanslife

Newbie looking for i563

Post by seanslife »

G'Day
I'm Sean, recently returned from UK to live in Canberra. After a few years without a boat, my last was a Northerner 28 on Lake Macquarie, I'm in the mood for another. This time though I want something I can handle on my own and keeps the costs low. Before leaving for the UK I built myself a nice little wooden boat for sailing on the lakes, she's a bit nimble and now I want something with a bit of seakeeping ability so that I can do some inland and maybe the odd coastal sailing (got my RYA Coastal Skipper whilst in UK). Hence, I've decide that the Investigator is the one for me. I've got an enquiry in with the Broker to view this boat: http://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale ... 563/161877 in Batemans Bay, can't view for another 2 weekends. Anyone know anything of it or got any any tips? If this one doesn't work out I'll keep looking (it makes good Winter activity)

I'm impressed with the level of knowledge on this forum, and I hope with time (and a boat) I might be able to contribute
Sean G
"Whispering Wind"
i563: #144
Canberra

http://www.seansboatbuild.blogpsot.com.au
Dr. Peter

Re: Newbie looking for i563

Post by Dr. Peter »

It certainly looks like its worth a look to me. The outboard looked new and the trailer looked pretty. About the only things I would like to see that I haven't are the state of the sails and what the bilge looks like. A question might be is it currently insured and was it inspected for that?
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome to the forum Sean. That looks to be a good boat for the money, if you want to hit the water running. Some goodies there as extras, a good boarding ladder and retriever mates on the trailer. Also a larger furler than the standard model. All I could add to Peter's suggestions is to check the deck for any soft spots and look around the hull for any evidence of collision/ repair.

It's a later model with the twin hinges on the front hatch . Having no window makes the hatch an ideal spot to mount a fixed solar panel .

My eldest daughter lives in Canberra and I often grab lunch or a beer at the yacht club when visiting. I think they have mast up storage there if that's your thing and Lake Burley Griffin is a nice area to sail although if you are ex Lake Mac person. ( I'm on the east side) you are already spoiled.

Well done on your wooden boat in your avatar. I love reading wooden boat articles and forums. As I teenager I built flying model aircraft and a few model balsa boats and was always intending to build a full size timber boat as my dad did when I was young. Unfortunately I'll probably never get around to it, but still enjoy going to the wooden boat festival at Toronto every year.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Sean, our member Mark has an I563 in the Batemans Bay area. If you send him a private message he may even check the boat out for you.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sean

Mark here from Batemans Bay.

I bought my I563 from the same broker a number of years back.

I have seen the boat you are interested in from a distance in his holding yard but not examined close up.

You are welcome to contact me privately if you are interested in viewing my I563 which has had considerable work done on it since purchase and I am happy to view with you the for sale boat if you want another opinion. I have developed quite a good working knowledge of these yachts since ownership and after working extensively on my own craft plus all the sage advice from fellow discussion board members.

Great choice I must say. :D

Best

Mark
seanslife

Post by seanslife »

Thanks so much for the welcome, I'm quite convinced the i563 is the boat for me and I can't wait to (properly) join the community..

Mark
Thank you for your kind offers, PM sent

Peter
The Broker says the Sails are OK, I'll certainly check. And good point regarding the bilges, I guess I'm looking for water, or signs of water? (my last boat was moored, but the leaking oil from the 8hp Yanmar masked the water :?

Ozzie
Our house is in Newcastle, we're hoping to return to Lake Maq within the next few years and I'm purchasing in consideration of sailing there eventually (and Myall lakes). Thanks for the advice on soft spots in the deck, I guess some springiness is ok but no sagging? Re Canberra sailing club, yep I've gone and watched the racing there over a few beers several times - I think I'll probably sail mostly out of Bateman's Bay but will sail the lake in my Tammie Norrie.

Ian B
Thanks for the pointer to Mark, I've now checked out his videos and am keen to sail in Bateman's Bay (and get a boat to the standard of Aminee - eventually)

Because of the boat show it's another two Saturday's until I can look at this boat, hopefully it's not sold before then. Apparently the gent who is selling is 90 years old and has owned it for 27 years. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Sean G
"Whispering Wind"
Canberra

seanslife

Oops

Post by seanslife »

Oops, I bought a boat!

Thanks to Mark B (Aminee) for showing me over his fine example, I got the confidence up to purchase Investigator #144 ' Whispering Wind', it's in a need of a minor tidy up and I'll need to look at the centreplate Bolt because it shows very red rust, but apart from those issues it seems in good condition. I'll probably retrieve it form the Broker next weekend but will store it and sail it locally in Batemans Bay (I live in Canberra).

Cheers
Sean G
'Whispering Wind'
Batemans Bay
Sean G
"Whispering Wind"
Canberra

Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »