Details of members' boats and locations.

General Sailing Talk
peter yates

Details of members' boats and locations.

Post by peter yates »

Without wanting to invade anyone's privacy, would it be possible to create a list of members with some basic stuff about their boats (names and sail numbers) and where they sail. Might be interesting and make it easier to contact those in the same vicinity for possible sailing activities.
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
RobertB

Re: Details of members' boats and locations.

Post by RobertB »

I'mm all for it.

Where do we put the info?

Robert
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I did suggest this on the old forum but some members were not keen. I was just curious to see how many sail numbers we had covered. On TSP posters have their location in there side bar profile which is handy.

Robert I think apart from you and I and Ian there were not many posters had their profile in the old forum. Understandable I guess. Having been robbed on my previous vessel twice I decided not put the name of my new boat back on after I first bought it as I did not want to identify a moored boat on the net ( I also was considering renaming it) But as I now bring everything of value off when I leave, including the outboard. All any potential thief would get is a cheap fishing rod, tinned beans and a plastic picnic set so it does not concern me anymore ;)

I am as far as I know the only Lake Mac person on the forum although there are a few on TSP.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Normanby

Post by Normanby »

I'd be happy to.
But i don't know my hull number or sail number - is it written on the boat somewhere?
Matt
"Pip"
Melbourne
Cheers,
Matt
Melbourne
Investigator 563 "Pip"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hardly had the words on the post and one of the TSP members was robbed on the lake.

http://trailersailerplace.com.au/forum/ ... php?t=4111

Maybe most thieves don't use the net as a shopping list but really if they wanted to we would be making it easy I guess. Some ****hole googles up your suburb and boat type, finds you put up a post on your new gear and helps himself. Land or mooring you are not safe these days. Its why I don't mention my suburb or mooring location, even with nothing to steal they still do damage finding that out.

People are using the net for more and more neferious reasons. Bring back the lash I say :twisted:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

In your profile you can put some details like boat name, sail number, and your general area, or area you frequently launch at. Most of us keep our boats at home, which reduces the risk of theft, which is one of the advantages of a trailer boat.

However, please be careful about what personal details you post. One fellow on another site posted pictures of himself doing athletic things, and had problems with a compensation claim when it was spotted by the opposing party.

Usually boat number is on the sail, but could also be under (have to unscrew), the design award tag on port side cabin bulkhead.
Design Award tag below the fish finder
Design Award tag below the fish finder
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

My boat (108) must have been badly designed as it doesn't have a "Good Design Award" plaque. I can't actually find any details from the manufacturer as to date, hull number etc. anywhere so just assuming the sail number is right.

Remind me not to moor on Lake M! Living in rural VIC, we don't think of theft as much of an issue.

I guess basic details might be OK but it sounds like not many want to talk about their locations due to the above, so I will bow out of the debate gracefully.

For what its worth, we live in Woodend which is between Bendigo and Melbourne. Sailing is done on Port Phillip (1 hour away) or preferably Gippsland Lakes (4 hours).

Used to be able to sail on Lake Eppalock at Bendigo which can be bigger than Sydney Harbour, but it has been a mud puddle for a decade now. Very few other inland waterways in VIC now for same reason.

Gippsland Lakes are magic though and a close second in my view would be the Port Stephens/Myall Lakes area.

Cheers,

Peter (Private Eye)
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Peter

Ian B may have the info, there was a design change at one point. The later models have two hinges on the front hatch and different shaped windows at the side, dont know what the cut off number was, My boat 143 is definitely later mold. No plate or hull number I can find.

I think everywhere has theft problems. I signed up as a the neighbourhood watch co-ordinator for our street when it first started years ago and had a good friend in the police force who was instrumental in starting community policing in Newcastle.

Two things I learned...

1.There was a lot of bad crime around that I had no idea existed in the area.
2. People didn't give a hoot.

My street were not interested and the overall numbers dropped off over about a year. Most of the individual areas combined into larger ones just to keep going. It still exists but in a very minimalist way. "Neighbourhood watch Marine" went the same way. When you read about people defending themselves and their property and then getting into **it with plod themselves its probably no wonder they adopt a seige mentality ..lock yourself in and pay your insurance.

We had a bunch of unregoed trailbikers tearing up the footpaths and creating road safety problems and noise in our area. The neighbours and myself tried talking then yelling but to no avail. For our pains we all had our mail taken , torn up and dumped at the end of the street.

I dont worry anymore ..just go sailing :P
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Compass Rose 117

Post by Compass Rose 117 »

Great idea, would be nice to know where the other Investigators are and more importantly sail.

For my part it is Corio Bay (Geelong) or Gippsland Lakes out of Paynesville.

Ian
Ian
Investigator #117 "Compass Rose"
Drysdale Victoria
gwilmott

Post by gwilmott »

#37 also on Lake Macquarie