General Sailing Talk
nipper

Post by nipper »

Hello all, myself (Luke) and my partner (Laura) are the proud new owners of "nipper" a 1982 built investigator. We purchased the boat from up ballarat way, and for the negotiated price of $4500, she seems to be in overall good condition, although I am definitely no expert, and find new things that require attention every time I look ;). She is very bare bones, no accessories included except a two hp yamaha outboard but as we plan to sail mostly in lakes in western vic, i think it will suffice? The sails look original and fairly shabby, no.65, and I would be keen to get a new or good 2nd hand set when funds allow. Ive just finished re varnishing all the timber, fixing the pop-top tracks, re-inforcing the outboard mounts, and giving her a good pressure wash.
The aluminium plug (gooseneck?) at the mast end of the boom where the tack is meant to clip in has snapped on one side, I havent started looking, but if anyone knows where I could get a new one I would love to hear about it.
I sailed nats in highschool, we have both sailed port-phillip, the east coast of Australia (on a 50ft cat), as well as the whitsunday islands. We have also completed coastal navigation, competent crew and night-time navigation courses through the Yacht master school in Sandringham. I would put myself in the novice/learner catogory, especially when it comes to trailer sailers.
Ive enjoyed the process of researching the boat to buy for the $$ available, and this site has been an invaluable resource. Cheers.

link to the the original advertisement:
http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/au/emF ... sleeps-4-p
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: new member

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome Luke and Laura, saw that one advertised and it looks very clean and well looked after. Im sure you will enjoy her. With your training and experience Im sure you will be a great addition to this forum.

Did the owner give you any history on the boat. Im curious as the main pic looks to have been taken at Marmong Point on Lake Macquarie with the old Wangi Queen in the background and the marina jetty behind that . I could be wrong.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
nipper

Post by nipper »

Hi ozzie, thanks for the welcome and kind words! Yes I believe she was a lake mac boat, that pic was taken in 2011, before Wangi queen went back to Sydney to be a floating restaurant . The previous owners of three years had her out only once or twice, due to injury. As a result she sat in the yard for a couple of years, and then went up for sale. That's all the history I've got but I'd love to know more ....
Spindrift114

Post by Spindrift114 »

Hi Luke and Laura. Welcome aboard!

Re: the gooseneck, there is a Victorian chap who runs (for now) Keeley marine supplies who recently supplied me with a new Mast foot casting so he may well have the cast for your gooseneck or at least be able to point you in the direction of someone who has. A very helpful chap who has been in the yachting game for most of his adult life.

Junee. My partner and I have recently acquired Spindrift #114 and have sailed her only three times so far but have very much enjoyed her general forgiveness and ease of use. I'm sure you'll have a blast with "Nipper"
Mike r
Spindrift #114
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Welcome Luke and Laura!

As you may have read already, I'm based in Geelong and have my boat QUMBU there.

Over the last few years I've pretty much restored most of my boat, and have just finished a major overhaul of the trailer.

I sail out of St Helens, which is a great place for launching trailables, then exploring Corio Bay.

If you are ever heading down there from Ballarat and wish to catch up, or need some local advice re your boat, give me a yell!

Happy sailing,

Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
nipper

Post by nipper »

Hi Geoff, I may have you confused re our location. We are actually in a small town half way between Apollo bay and Colac ... and definitely planning to sail Corio as its only an hour or so drive, never been further down than Point Cook on that side of the bay either. I injured my hand, needing subsequent surgery so nipper will not be getting her first sail with us for a little while yet :cry: Im very interested in your overhaul and upgrades and keen on getting together for sail when Im all healed up. I've read your post about upgrading the original mainsheet traveller with great interest as I planned on doing the same until I saw a pic of a similar setup on an investigator sailing beam reach and it looks like the cabin is fouling the mainsheet, have you had this issue at all? Cheers for warm welcome and happy sailing :D
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again Luke:

Yes, I thought you were up Ballarat way, but now realise you're in The Otways (perhaps Lavers Hill). A lovely part of the world! Sorry to hear about your hand; let me know when you wish to catch up locally here anytime.

I installed my mainsheet traveller midway across the cockpit and can attach it to a boom fitted directly above the traveller (good for single-handed sailing).

Or I can swing it back and attach to the boom end, which frees up more space in the cockpit (good for two or more people aboard, especially on a run when the mainsheet is hard over and forward on one side or the other).

Either way, the mainsheet does not get fouled on the cabin top in a reach, so I'd be keen to hear more about the issue you mention.

Cheers, Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
atles

Post by atles »

Hi Luke and Laura :D you are going to have lots of fun in your investigator !!
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane