Centreboard lift rope / pipe

Sharkey
Investigator Boat Name: Investigator

Re: Centreboard lift rope / pipe

Post by Sharkey »

Thanks everyone for all your great ideas! What a fantastic forum: didn't expect such quick responses :D
I've got a diver friend who can get cold for me. I'll let you know how it goes.
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

http://teria563.blogspot.com/search/lab ... rboard?m=0

This is from my blog, about fixing my stuck lift-wire and what caused it. Scroll through the centerboard stuff and there are a few pics of how the lift wire was attached to the centerboard, and how i re-attached it with a shackle.

The boat is on a trailer, so not worried about disimilar metals as for moored boats.

Peter, from memory couldnt see the wire pulley in the case when the board was out..just a small hole about 6mm diameter. Its an early hull, perhaps pre-pulley era?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks Andrew, great coverage of your replacement. I think a “bush” is probably the best description of the gazinter that is glassed into my keel case. I did have a photo I took years ago peering up into the void but it’s on a crashed old Mac somewhere along with my old cjb Investigator website probably.

To newer members here, I can’t recommend Andrew’s blog enough. A very comprehensive look at his investigator and the repairs he has done to it.

Good luck with it all Sharkey.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Very interesting stuff and as you say Andrew, early models may very well be different to later models. Mine is sail NO 114, so I have no idea if its an early or later model. Mine has no windows in the front hatch. When I looked up in the centreboard case from under the boat with a strong light, it really looked like an elongated metal fitting with a pulley and the hole for the cord, is as you say around 5 or 6 mm iich is at the rear end of what ever it is. I felt sure at the time that it was a pulley. Anyway. All very interesting and thank you Andrew for putting your Blog up on here. Perfect. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

It was a few years ago since i had the centerboard out. I did take a pic of the cases wire aperture, when keel was up on blocks but its now lost somewhere on an old hard drive..

The pulley sounds like an improvement. Fairly sure my one is a metal bushing, totally glassed in. The stainless wire runs on it, presume it takes longer to wear out than braided lines would?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

I reckon you are spot on. Wouldn't it have been great if it had a sealed cover over it that could be removed so that replacement or service to it could have been done. Anyway, it is what it is and that's why I stuck with the stainless wire at the bottom. Cheers all .
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."