Looking to buy.

General Sailing Talk
enteringthethirdage

Looking to buy.

Post by enteringthethirdage »

Hi, I have just joined and am looking for a suitable yacht for us. We are fairly new to sailing but are used to small boats with outboards, and inboard diesels. Also we are not young. Young at heart though !
We are keen on the Investigator 563. There don't seem to be many for sale around the Hobart region. Can anyone help us ?
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Looking to buy.

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome ET3A, I think you have made agood choice , we are hoping the 563 will take us well into our sixtes. They are a forgiving and sturdy boat. As most of us here are not spring chickens this forum is full of ideas on how to make life easy for the 'mature' sailer.

Try placing a wanted add on Gumtree or any similar free ad services you have in Tassie. It's how I got my boat. Sometimes people just have things sitting in the yard for years they have not used and can't be bothered advertising. Aso you are not competing with people answering an ad.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Ozzie wrote: we are hoping the 563 will take us well into our sixtes.
Wooaaa there Ozzie - that means Doug "Roller Coaster" should have given up twenty years ago ( he's now eighty and leaves everyone behind in his wake}. And I have only four more years of sailing before taking up lawn bowls.
You young uns have a lot to learn.

BTW Welcome ET3A - a great boat and association. Here's one I found in Launceston
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/underwoo ... 1063741433
We'll keep an eye out for more Tassie boats for sale.
Cheers
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

snoopebj wrote:
Ozzie wrote: we are hoping the 563 will take us well into our sixtes.
Wooaaa there Ozzie - that means Doug "Roller Coaster" should have given up twenty years ago ( he's now eighty and leaves everyone behind in his wake}. And I have only four more years of sailing before taking up lawn bowls.
You young uns have a lot to learn.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Point taken Emrys

I dont feel old but I am becoming acutely aware of the things that take longer to heal. On Boxing Day the family got together with lots of water toys, namely my youngest daughter's new stand up paddle board and my eldest daughter's sea kayak, which I finished up paddling. I went for a long row down Swansea channel with the brother in law, 49, and my ten year old nephew all in separate canoes. Now I'm a reasonably experienced kayaker but as Ive been doing a lot of sailing lately my now 40 year old kayak has not had much use. End of story , everyone else is fine but I'm sitting typing with a few panadol and a wee scotch still nursing a very sore shoulder. All I did was something that would have been a walk in the park even two years ago. Im not saying Im getting old its just my body thats getting vocal :shock: At what age do I need to take up Lawn Bowls :?: I'll have to PM Doug for a few tips on sailing longevity ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Your Boxing Day family outing sounded wonderful Ozzie. Very active, Ours was a more couch potato affair - watching the Sydney Hobart with family and also with some scotch.
As for the age thing as long as you can get out there you get out there.
Happy New year to you and your family.

At the end of what was a crap year for many people I'd like to quote my all time sailing hero and his sailing philosophy:-
"I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth, a nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and without borders, where life is lived in the present. In this limitless nation, this nation of wind, light, and peace, there is no other ruler besides the sea."
- Bernard Moitessier
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
enteringthethirdage

Thanks Ozzie,
Appreciate the welcome and the tips. I feel better about being 'mature' and attempting to learn the intricacies of sailing since reading the replies. I will put an add on gumtree and try my luck that way.

Thanks Snoopebj,
I've taken a peek at the add of the one in Launceston and would like to suss out Hobart a bit more before arranging a trip up there. I really like your sailing philosophy.
Spindrift114

Post by Spindrift114 »

Hi ET3A.
I'm afraid my partner and I bought the Launnie boat! SORRY! It would be great if you could find another local 563 as it would be nice to have a sail with you either on the Derwent or in Frederick Henry/ Storm Bay sometime. Hopefully tomorrow will be our first wet day day with our "Spindrift"
Good luck in your search!
Mike r
Spindrift #114
enteringthethirdage

well Spindrift114 you sure have some cheek ! But on the other hand, I suppose I should thank you for letting me know ! Just shows you can't hang around umm ing and ahh ing with Investigators.
Spindrift114

Post by Spindrift114 »

Well ET3A..... He who hesitates is lost etc....

No.
Really.
I do hope you find another and soon!
We took Spindrift out on the day of New Years eve and apart from a few "operator errors" everything went well. We sailed with just the storm jib for a bit then hoisted the main. It was good to see how you can steer the boat with sail alone and despite not being able to lift the outboard leg we managed a nice pace.
The Investigator is a very forgiving craft (to the monkey on the end of the tiller) and I'm already very happy with the way she works. Some fun times to be had for all who sail in her.

So, I wish you a great deal of good luck in finding your Investigator!
Cheers Mike

Ps was hoping to post an image but am quite the ludite when it comes to forums. In any case thee are many images about already.
Mike r
Spindrift #114
enteringthethirdage

Thanks Mike,
It sounds like you had a lovely time out on the briny. I can't wait ! We are still looking for our perfect boat. There is a Cole 18 for sale in Franklin for around $9000 which is quite a nice outfit, but it will need an outboard and some mending in places. Hmmm, just wondering about it at the moment.
Cheers.