Exterior Mods

General Sailing Talk
BobK

Exterior Mods

Post by BobK »

One of the problems we found during our recent trip to the Whitsundays was that it was difficult (for old folks like me) to get on and off the boat at the stern to go snorkelling etc., Margarita has a swimming platform, which is great but I find it difficult get my leg over the rail.

So we've modified the aft rail as in the pic. We cut the old rail (which went right across the stern above the transom) and bent the two halves down to form a loop. Some trimming and welding at it's done. The whole aft rail had to come off the boat the do the bending/welding, but it's not too difficult a job.

It's made a huge improvement to access. I've noticed the difference at home just getting on and off to do some work on it. I've added a wire loop to each side so that a safety line can be added across the stern if required but at this stage I don't think that will be necessary.
Attachments
Stern rail 005a.jpg
Bob
Margarita #32
Yara50

Re: Exterior Mods

Post by Yara50 »

Bob
I would be a little bit concerned about the loss of sideways stability, but then life is always a compromise. What is that winch on the transom used for?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
BobK

Re: Exterior Mods

Post by BobK »

Ian,

Yes, I did consider the strength issue. Plan B was to increase the size of the bottom plate on the rear stanchion if I was not comfortable, but that hasn't been necessary. You do lose some stiffness which is more a matter of comfort/confidence, and that could be taken care of by adding a tensioned wire safety line across the stern to share the load across both rear rails. But it's fine as is and I don't plan to do that at this stage. I don't think a safety line/rail is really needed as the aft is not really "open" when sailing as you have the backstay and the main sheet to get past if you want to fall overboard.

Everybody asks about the winch. It was installed by the previous owner, and is set up so that a solo sailer can work the genoa (or spinnaker) sheets from the aft cockpit position. Works fine. But not having the handrail immediately above the winch will add a little to the ease of use.
Bob
Margarita #32