Waterline or No waterline

General Sailing Talk
Tenaciousgreen

Waterline or No waterline

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Hey Guy's

Despite two herniated discs in my lumbar spine I have finally got rid of the the old paint, including Anti foul (What a job that was!) and have recoated with 2 pack primer.

My question is, do I paint a waterline, considering that it is not going to be left in the water and no anti foul going back on?

I am starting to think the hassle of painting one is not a necessity, and is more for cosmetic purposes. I am going to paint the hull in British Racing Green.

Thoughts please

TG
Attachments
20140402_170134.jpg
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Yara50

Re: Waterline or No waterline

Post by Yara50 »

Waterline- not necessary.
BRG is, IMHO, not a colour for a boat. Good for racing cars, preferably vintage ones.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Yara50 wrote: BRG is, IMHO, not a colour for a boat. Good for racing cars, preferably vintage ones.
My user name probably gives it away, but I like green and do not like the traditional blue. I have considered other colours, but in the end I have plumped for BRG.

Anyway, to me, my investigator is a little vintage racer :lol:
Rich Tolley
Mandurah, WA.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi TG I have a waterline on Spritzig II but I've got antifoo . As such I have red bootstripe to break up the difference between the black and white.

I love the idea of using the livery of the BRG race cars on stuff (like this lotus)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _-_001.jpg

Have you thought of maybe a yellow bootstripe at the waterline to break up the green and putting your boat name in a round white circle , or maybe your rego number. Would certainly be unique. An alternative would be yellow trim stripe on the waist line of the boat. Don't know if you have British heritage but a small union jack in there somewhere would complete the image.

My boat was originally all white with a red waist strip . When i removed it as it was faded and battered i added a red and blue flash from some leftover 3M tapei had to break up the side space visually, plus the boot stripe. Just visible in my avatar . I think a stripe of some kind cuts down on the overall height of the boat and makes it look sleeker . It's a trick that's been used in the automotive industry for yonks.

Can't wait to see your final livery.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

If you have no antifoul there is no need for a contrasting colour at all. Whilst you might like green, when it comes to re-sale, it might make some buyers turn green, but not with envy.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ian, Ian, come on revive your sense of adventure :D as as expat Brit you should champion the spreading of the national heritage. 8-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

Nice connection in the text with the Aussie green and gold
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

:mrgreen: Resale does not bother me at all, with 2 pack Poly, its easily overcoated if its a real problem in the future. Being an expat myself, I love your idea, Ozzie. I havn't designed the name yet but I might just give your suggestion a whizz on the old Photoshop and see what I can come up with :mrgreen:
Rich Tolley
Mandurah, WA.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Good onya TG ...hanging out for the results. Put your Photoshop efforts up on the site and we can vote :D You could start a trend..... anyone repainting?? how about a JPS Investigator.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Go the BRG!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hmmmm, I many years ago raced a Yami TZ 350 in the bright Yellow and black factory colours "Checkered" I can smell the Castrol R-30 in the outboard already 8-)