Where to go?

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

Where to go?

Post by Dr. Peter »

Some of you may have figured out by now that I am the teaching-principal of a small rural school here in Victoria - its a great life!

I have decided to go on long service leave (LSL) for all of term 1 in 2014. That's 8 weeks after the Xmas new year break.

So. I have nothing planned --- where should I go?
Peter
Pip #127
vfborg

Re: Where to go?

Post by vfborg »

hey what about Hervey bay Queensland really good sailing you got Fraser Island real good weather lots of sun shine .
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Thanks, made me Google it.
Peter
Pip #127
vfborg

Post by vfborg »

we used to holiday here and then we packed up and moved here if you like fishing you can catch coral trout sweet lip in a small tinny you don't have to go 50miles off shore we also go whale watching in our investigator and we found the people very friendly top spot .
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Peter:

I've just returned to Australia after two months LSL (half pay) spent trekking the Camino de Santiago across Northern Spain: 860km over 30 days carrying a 10kg backpack. Then a further 75kms on to Finisterre (the end of the earth).

This largely explains my recent lack of activity on this site - including the many weekends prior to my trip spent training on nearby hills and paths.

Sadly, not much sailing to be done in Northern Spain, though I did later get to cruise on a giant cat around Barcelona harbour. It was all I could do not to spill my beer, listening to the jazz and taking in the sunset over the Mediterranean!

Anyway, now that I'm home, it's time to get the tarp off the boat and fix her up ready for the warmer days ahead (hopefully) sailing here in Geelong.

Good luck with your choice of sailing locale; I'd probably head north to the Whitsundays and poke about there. Though if you have a hankering, you can now drive on bitumen all the way to Cooktown, and put the boat in on the Endeavour River. Just mind the crocs and stingers.

Cheers, Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hi Pete, If i wasn't living up here, i would stay somewhere south of Hervey Bay/ Gladstone in the cyclone season from Dec to March. It's possible for adventurous types to go to the far north then, but its raining far more often which can make waters murkier, marine stinging jelly fish also in season, cyclones and highway-cutting floods have occurred in recent years too. But trailers sailers can outrun impending storms at 50-60 knots on the highway while the moored boats await the onslaught. Locals up here have adapted and keep sailing on, the UV index is lower which is a good thing, less chance of sunburn. A boom tent or sun-rain awning is a handy bit of kit to have up here. Also it's the tourist off-season so caravan park and accommodation prices should be lower.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria