Woo Hoo - a Tenob outboard bracket

General Sailing Talk
cruiserpete

Woo Hoo - a Tenob outboard bracket

Post by cruiserpete »

Woo Hoo.... won an eBay bid for a 2nd hand Tenob 25hp outboard bracket. I've been contemplating buying one ever since Mark (TSP) mentioned a Tenob was the way he went as an outboard bracket for his epic TS journey from Melb to Eden via bass Strait.

I'm planning of a similar trip however, given that I'm in Tasmania mine will be Devonport, Deal Island, Refuge cove to Eden via Bass Strait. :-)

I scored the Tenob 25hp up/down outboard bracket off ebay for $170 posted which is a saving of over $300 so well under half price. Yes, it's 2nd hand but wow, it's in fantastic condition albeit the hardwood has a few marks but nothing other than cosmetic.

This was the last item on my shopping list so I'm pretty happy with what I've accumulated for my refurbishment.
Very happy with myself :-)

A bit of Tenob spruiking lol

"25hp (18kw) maximum standard & 20hp max. long (20-23") shaft models. 58kg max. weight. Applies to both 2 and 4 stroke motors.

Hole centres 152mm vertical x 207mm horizontal (approx.). Bracket size: 350mm (reach) x 280mm (mounting width) x 215mm (mounting height).

Vertical movement (adjustment) 340mm (13.3/8"). In its lowest position the top edge of the timber is 83mm below horizontal.

Timber size: 260 x 190 x 35mm. Varnished hardwood. Hardwood is an ideal material because the outboard motor clamps sink slightly into the surface, thus reducing the risk of the motor slipping off. This cannot be achieved with plastic mounts.
"

What concerned me was the amount of outboard brackets explicitly stating NOT designed for 4 strokes and although, my 5hp - 23kg Honda 4 stroke is not too taxing on a bracket it was my insurance that concerned me. Given that if the outboard bracket did fail I might have been up s... creek with my insurance (which will come as soon as the boat is ready). Plus, the added strength and especially build quality of the Tenob was also a factor.
Dr. Peter

Re: Woo Hoo - a Tenob outboard bracket

Post by Dr. Peter »

A picture would be good.
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.tenob.co.nz/shop/Outboard+Mo ... acket.html

Looks like the beez kneez mate
tenob
tenob
OU01 on black background.jpg (20.81 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Chief

Post by Chief »

Hi cruiserpete I admire your aspirations to cross bass straight to Eden and look forward to hearing more about your offshore journey.
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

The motor weight needs to match the spec. Too light a motor and you will have a hard time pushing it down. Maybe you can get a different set of springs from Tenob.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Yara50 wrote:The motor weight needs to match the spec. Too light a motor and you will have a hard time pushing it down. Maybe you can get a different set of springs from Tenob.
Thank Ian,
Had that one sorted when I started looking but good advice.
I had previously researched outboard brackets and combined with Marks 1st hand use/recommendation I decided that the Tenob OU01 model was the one for me.

I had previously emailed Tenob seeking recommendations on an outboard bracket that would suit my Honda 5hp. Stewart their sales manager replied recommending this model for my Honda 5hp - 4stroke. He went on to further say, "at 27.5kg (he was spot on) the Honda will be well balanced. A larger spring set can be ordered $14.06 inc GST for an outboard closer to the bracket's weight limit but the Honda will balance well on it.The maximum shaft length that can be used is 23inches however, the Honda L type, 5hp is 20inches and well with spec of the OU01 or OU015.

When I saw this one come up on eBay I knew straight away it would be perfect for my TS :-)

Cheers, Pete