Pop Top Modifications

General Sailing Talk
kevwr400

Pop Top Modifications

Post by kevwr400 »

Just thought I would list a picture of my new roof on AM, still work in progress but getting closer.
Attachments
20131009_092918.jpg
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Pop Top Modifications

Post by Ozzie »

Mate , this looks like a good mod, I assume its to give you more sitting headroom in the cabin. Like the additional windows , how did you do this . I assume fixed timber spacers in the gap. I am thinking some 4x2 would be ok as a temp lift with air gap at front for lunch stops etc , Ill have to experiment. I rarely lift the top either and having it fixed like this certainly makes the boat more seaworthy.

I note you seem to have relocated the grab rail supports as well . How did that go?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi ozzie. Did this mod for a number of reasons.

Headroom, with the roof fixed allowed me to remove around 7" of glass inside cabin. At 6 foot I can now sit upright with about an inch to spare, not just that but you can sit back a bit which should stop banging head when rolling.

I found it very unsafe when moving to bow with top up even at anchor as you naturally want to place your hand on roof as it's at the right height.

With roof solid its allowed me to replace grab handles ontop of solid roof, which for me is around knee height instead of below knees, which make it far better for balance.

With hand rails remover allowed much more deck space for running rigging. Possibly 1 on top deck and 3 on lower part of deck each side. Also its allowed more space for headsail tracks.

It has made a huge difference to space perception and allows more light in.

The roof particularly at the front adds a noticable amount of stregth to mast step.

Iwindow frame's are grp, which made a mold for. Will take pictures and upload.
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

almost finished just need to make and fit windows
Attachments
2.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
20131007_090834.jpg
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Brilliant job . Waiting to see the final production.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Nice work! I think I have only lifted the pop top on my boat once and it left me feeling a little embarrassed for her, I do however, like the way my pop top slides forward, it allows me to get to the mast and boom without climbing on deck.
Well done, looks great!
Steve
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Finished with new windows in. looks pretty good with the bulwarks come gunwale come toe rail and double roller bow sprit. I also moved all the safety rails out to the edge and braced them with large washers, this gave an extra inch room on side deck to walk and the bulwarks add strength to rails. I have two more major mods to do to AM before we hit the water again will, list them when done.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Mark

Post by Mark »

Brilliant mods all round.

I hadn't noticed your toe rails before and am interested in closer photos and description of what you used and how you did this, mine need replacement and the metal ones seem very expensive - also where did you get the double roller bow sprit? I have been looking for a replacement.

Thanks
Mark
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Thanks Mark

The bulwarks are just out door hardwood decking from bunnings, by the brochure they don’t need to be treated, which suits me fine and at $3.40 per metre, so $34 it’s not worth the energy! They bowed around the rails fine with g-clamps no splitting. Although they need to be washed down to stop the leaching of the oils they add. I washed mine with the hose but they have still leached a little, but it does wash of pretty easy. With the rails all the way out the new bulwarks protect the gunwale. So it ticks more than one box.

The clamps are for plastic plumbing pipe from bunnings, but I am going to change these after this season, with something made out of 316 ss, as they are the weak link.

I repositioned the railing as far out as possible and made long flat washers under the gunwale to support them. Filled all the old holes, counter sinking and filling with polyester resin, bit of paper tape underneath. Strength is good as I feel off the ladder sanding the roof and latched onto one of the rails bending it at 20 degree without any cracking to the fibreglass.

Getting there slowly, making AM a better cruiser.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Gunwale clearance.jpg
Bow rail out 35mm forward 35mm.jpg
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

The bow sprit I made myself out of 2.5mm ss. it is about twice the weight as original but the hole spaces are wider apart and it goes further back to protect the deck from the anchor chain. I stick welded the assembly together (what I’d give for a TIG)

Getting there slowly, making AM a better cruiser.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg