In North Qld

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

In North Qld

Post by Andrew »

Hello All,

Bought an Investigator 563 last week. The info on the web and on this forum made the decision an easy one, thanks. They look like a great design, like the keel, interior layout, rig, boat size and value. She tows well. There's a few maintenance jobs to do before sailing.

Andrew
Townsville, Qld
IMG_0627b.JPG
IMG_0627b.JPG (60.64 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Dr. Peter

Re: In North Qld

Post by Dr. Peter »

Welcome aboard the forum, Andrew.
Peter
Pip #127
terry s

Post by terry s »

Andrew wrote:Hello All,

Bought an Investigator 563 last week. The info on the web and on this forum made the decision an easy one, thanks. They look like a great design, like the keel, interior layout, rig, boat size and value. She tows well. There's a few maintenance jobs to do before sailing.

Andrew
Townsville, Qld
IMG_0627b.JPG
hello Andrew, I am looking at one in Brisbane at the moment, could I ask what you paid for yours as it looks in about the same condition. could you e-mail any photos to me at ...r-n@bigpond.com thanks and enjoy your new toy
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome Andrew. So far I think you are our Northernmost member. Investigator 563s are spread right across Australia. Do you have a sail number or name on your boat?

WRT the value of a boat in a remote location such as Far North Queensland, the price can vary a lot when compared to the large population areas like Brisbane or Sydney. If there is a local demand, the price can be a lot higher, with no local demand it can be the other way. Demand can be as little as one or two keen buyers. We hope that this web site helps increase demand, but then if you are a buyer, that is maybe not so good. :-)
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Hey there and welcome,

A great boat...congrats :-)

Enjoy and safe sailing.
Pete
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone,

I'm working away for another month so can pull the old main out of its bag to check the sail on return. The working main is a fairly new plain one. There's 2 jibs and an old spinnaker.

She cost $4,800 but there's a few days fixing and adding gear like flares, portaloo, winch cable, before day sailing can happen. The motors an old Johnson 9.8hp which runs ok. The previous owner replaced the stainless standing rigging, he did trips out to the offshore Islands around here. The owner before him sailed along the North Queensland coast and put the good sails and running rigging on. Slab reefing and roller furlings there. The hull, decks, mast and fittings look sound. Navigation lights and simple switches are are in but require a battery.

Will need to get a few extra parts and fix things as time allows.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Andrew, I think you got a bargain! Are you working on a mine?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It was luck, currently working in mineral exploration geology, generally do field work out of remote camps.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Yara50 wrote:Welcome Andrew. So far I think you are our Northernmost member. Investigator 563s are spread right across Australia. Do you have a sail number or name on your boat?

WRT the value of a boat in a remote location such as Far North Queensland, the price can vary a lot when compared to the large population areas like Brisbane or Sydney. If there is a local demand, the price can be a lot higher, with no local demand it can be the other way. Demand can be as little as one or two keen buyers. We hope that this web site helps increase demand, but then if you are a buyer, that is maybe not so good. :-)
Hi Ian,

Just back in from 5 weeks in Papua New Guinea. Pulled the old patched up original main sail out of the bag, the numbers are long gone but can still see ghost letters, the sail reads "009". The boats name is "Teria" Rego MU197Q and was at the RQYS (Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron?, Manly, Qld) at some time in the past.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Belated welcome Andrew, and it looks like you are not only our most Northern member but owner of the oldest 563 we have tracked down . Wow old no. 9 , Ian , any knowledge of an older one than that still sailing , anyone else?

Can't remember our newest sail number to date , I know there are a few after my 143.

Can anybody append the name list with sail numbers,I've lost track . :roll:

A few on eBay recently.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)