Access to Lower Pintle

Dr. Peter

Access to Lower Pintle

Post by Dr. Peter »

This one has concerned me for quite a while because:
1. One of the bolts holding the pintle on is loose and I can't tighten it up and,
2. I think this is where water is entering the boat.

Access via the cabin is thwarted because my beautiful battery and its associated bits and pieces live under the the cockpit floor just behind the steps. There is also the tubing that my centreboard pennant runs through.

I was thinking about cutting an inspection hatch into the cockpit floor or alternatively the lower part of the transom.

Another idea was to access the area via the port lazarette. At the very back of this space is a thin piece of fibreglass that goes between the inner and outer skin of the boat. If I cut this away then it would be possible but maybe a little uncomfortable to reach those nuts.

All ideas gratefully received. I have to do something about this
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Brendan

Re: Access to Lower Pintle

Post by Brendan »

Dr. Peter wrote:This one has concerned me for quite a while because:
1. One of the bolts holding the pintle on is loose and I can't tighten it up and,
2. I think this is where water is entering the boat.

Access via the cabin is thwarted because this my beautiful battery and its associated bits and pieces live under the the cockpit floor just behind the steps. There is also the tubing that my centreboard pennant runs through.

I was thinking about cutting an inspection hatch into the cockpit floor or alternatively the lower part of the transom.

Another idea was to access the area via the port lazarette. At the very back of this space is a thin piece of fibreglass that goes between the inner and outer skin of the boat. If I cut this away then it would be possible but maybe a little uncomfortable to reach those nuts.

All ideas gratefully received. I have to do something about this
hi peter, those plastic inspection ports from bias or whitworths
are hard to beat. quick to fit and flush. then you have easy access to the pintle bolts in the future.
Brendan. investigator 153
no way

Post by no way »

My boat had an inspection port in back end of cockpit when I bought it - seemed the logical way to access that end of the boat and presumed it was std. I have a rope tail bag there which covers it anyway
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Dr Peter,
Here is the access port that I have, I'm just able to get my hand in there to tighten up the bolts securing the pintles, although I think I actually used an air ratchet when I tightened them up last. I also replaced the pins in the pintles to an oversize to take the slack out .
Steve
access.jpg
new pin.jpg
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Beautiful pictures, thank you. I think the transom is the best way and I do have some of those inspection thingies (brand new). Saturday I priced a five inch hole-saw from local suppliers and at $55 to $75 for a one-use tool, I did not buy one. Instead I found a 16 piece kit, which went up to and including 5 inches, for $30 on E-Bay. Guess what I'm buying?

Thanks everyone for the input.
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Post by Mark »

I am glad this topic was raised as I have often ben concerned as to the nature of my pintles. Can only see them by flashlight and i could never get under the cockpit sole.
Peter please take pics of your process including tools used so we can replicate your journey at the transom.

Best

Mark
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

The best way to cut large holes is to drill a small hole to start, and do the rest with a jig saw.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Mark wrote:I am glad this topic was raised as I have often ben concerned as to the nature of my pintles. Can only see them by flashlight and i could never get under the cockpit sole.
Peter please take pics of your process including tools used so we can replicate your journey at the transom.

Best

Mark
I will try my best to document the process and post images. All being well I'll have a go this weekend - weather permitting. My boat is outside under a tarp right now (my son moved back home and has stolen my shed space).
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Have started the work and, as promised, here are some images and text about how I did it. I can only attach three pictures per post so will provide info in parts.
Accessing lower pintles1.jpg
Accessing lower pintles1.jpg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
Part 1 - Measuring and initial cut
The distance across the cockpit sole was 50cm so I marked off 25cm. I then measured again this time a little higher up and read off 52cm and so marked 25.5cm with a pencil. I used a retractable tape measure.
Accessing lower pintles2.jpg
Accessing lower pintles2.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
For the initial cut I left the drill bit in and began drilling on an imagined straight line somewhere between my two marks. There was plenty of dust and wearing a mask might be a good idea next time.
Accessing lower pintles3.jpg
Accessing lower pintles3.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Part 2 - removing the bit, the hole is cut, the nuts for the lower pintles revealed
Accessing lower pintles4.jpg
Accessing lower pintles4.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
Not being sure of the space between the back of the cockpit and the outer hull I removed the drill bit once I had a pre-cut circle to guide me.
Accessing lower pintles5.jpg
Accessing lower pintles5.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
Cutting the hole was hard work for the 240V drill. It did not have enough torque to cut at low speed so I used higher speeds but let the blade do the work. Even though I did not force it the drill was smoking at the end. I spun it it up without load to cool it down.
Accessing lower pintles6.jpg
Accessing lower pintles6.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
At last the back of the pintle mount is revealed. As you can see seawater has been making its way into the boat for a little while. The nuts are 7/16s.
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Pip #127