Top of Port Phillip Bay

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

Top of Port Phillip Bay

Post by Dr. Peter »

I love school holidays. I finished packing the boat this afternoon in readiness for a winter sail away. Along with some other sailors from Yarrawonga YC we are off for a four day sail in Port Phillip Bay tomorrow. NIght 1 is to be spent at Docklands. NIght 2 might be SAndringham YC. Night 3 is ?

And have to say the boat looks great after the bottom paint, cut and polish, and oiling of the gunnel and new one-piece weather-board.

Just watched the ABC weather. Boy I'm glad we decided on the top of the bay. We were considering Blairgowrie initially.
Peter
Pip #127
sol invictus

Re: Top of Port Phillip Bay

Post by sol invictus »

I can vouch for the schmick looking Pip as I saw here today tied up at Docklands Marina...altho she looked tiny alongside some of the other Motor Monsters down there.
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
Dr. Peter

Re: Top of Port Phillip Bay

Post by Dr. Peter »

It just goes to show that sometimes you should just go whatever the weather forecast. It was forecast to be gale force winds and it was, but by then we were safely tucked up at the marina at Docklands on Thursday night.
Melbourne Docklands 2.jpg
Melbourne Docklands 2.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
On Friday we left two of the boats behind, including Pip, and with the masts down went up the Maribynong River.

On Saturday we sailed to Sandringham YC and back. At least 15 knots with gusts to 20. Seas on the way down were lumpy and following and a bit of surfing was possible with the wind on the quarter. We started with two reefs and shook one out half way there. It was better than a river.

On the way back we beat/close reached with one reef in. I reckon it was nearer 20 knots this time but the sea had settled into a more regular pattern and we weren't punching into it. It was a glorious sail. By the time we reached Williamstown the wind had swung to the west and was picking up in force, but we had managed to get onto the smoother side of the bay by then. Then it rained. I love good quality wet weather gear.

The hot shower and ease of finding a place to eat was really appreciated although it must be said it was a long motor up the Yarra to our berth. The sailing time was five hours there and back all up.

On Sunday it was time to go home but not before a squirt across to St. Kilda and back, and back, and back. 10knots maybe and absolutely no waves. Fantastic!

What can I say - the marina was more than accommodating and gave us three nights for the price of two ($45/night). It was quite surprising how few boats were there. And we were the smallest:
Melbourne Docklands 3.jpg
Melbourne Docklands 3.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
And just to prove we really were there:
melbourne docklands 1.jpg
melbourne docklands 1.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Peter
Pip #127