Imminent purchase of Investigator 563.

General Sailing Talk
Tenaciousgreen

Imminent purchase of Investigator 563.

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and to the investigator 563. Have my eyes on a Investigator which I hope to purchase imminently. She is generally in good condition, just requires some paint, TLC and the odd job here and there.

Now I havn't sailed for about 20 years, but did quite a bit when I was in the Royal Navy in the UK and cant wait to get back into it.

I am looking for some restoration advice, basically tips on paint removal and painting together with making a decision on the type and power of Outboard as it needs one.

Living in Metro WA I intend to do some open sailing, Rottnest Trips and coastal trips down south.

All hints, tips and advice welcome.

Thanks

Rich
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Dr. Peter

Re: Imminent purchase of Investigator 563.

Post by Dr. Peter »

Check Geoff's posts about the 30 year refurb
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Rich,
I often launch at Woodman point and head out from there. Cockburn Sound is great because you can get out there and get a gradual feel for the conditions before you decide to head out to Rotto. If you don't feel up to Rotto, head down to Rockingham or just sail out in the shipping lanes, Its all good.
Busselton is also great for sailing , I have ten days of holiday/sailing in Busselton starting in a fortnights time If I can get my boat ready.
Oh yeah , I have a 5 horse 4 stroke Honda outboard, being old school motocross I find it hard to say "four stroke",,, Pushes the boat along fine though, I have only ever used it to get me in and out of the mariner. I have had a little trouble with it flooding when starting so I adjusted up the neutral throttle stop so I could rev it higher in neutral, gives it a little more air, did the trick nicely

May see you out there in the future
Steve
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Thanks for your replies,

I live in the Mandurah area, Steve, so plenty of options for getting in the water.

Picking her up on Thursday/Friday, cant wait to get started.

:D
Rich Tolley
Mandurah, WA.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

All the best mate , lots of before and after pics , nice to find another 563 and get it on the forum . At this rate we we get all the ones still sailing eventually.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Picked her up today, She's called 'Spirit of Christy' (Not overly keen on the name but am a little superstitious)

Clean and tidy inside, but needs some cosmetic work on the outside.

Hope to start this weekend!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rybrifhn6158 ... 133547.jpg
Rich Tolley
Mandurah, WA.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Greeny- you just got to find out from the previous owner who Christy was, there is sure to be a good story lurking....
Congrats on the new boat too.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi mate and welcome,

I purchased my 563 a few months ago and want to change her name from "Bultaco" to "Storm Trooper" but I'm a very superstitious bloke and renaming a boat is fraught with superstition. I recently came across a fantastic "Ode to Neptune" to de-name and rename a boat.

I'm yet to do this (feel a little silly reciting this at the launching ramp or with boat in the backyard :oops: so I'm going to de-name my boat when she is actually on the water (which makes more sense to me as well).... then the next time she is ready to relaunch I'll christen her with a small bottle of bubbly with her new name.
I reckon the 'ode' will well and truly solve any superstitions I have :D

Here it is:
Yacht de-naming ceremony

Here’s the actual ceremonial recitation:

“In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

“Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves;

“And mighty Aeolus*, guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

“We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

“Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known, ( ), be struck and removed from your records.

“Further, we ask that when this vessel is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

“In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to thy domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

“In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea.”

Now you can pop the cork, shake the bottle and spray the whole of the contents on the bow. When that’s done, you can open another bottle for yourself.

How long should you wait before the new naming ceremony? There's no fixed time. You can do the renaming right after the denaming, if you want. But most of us would prefer to wait at least 24 hours to give those sneaky sea demons time to clear out.

(* Aeolus, as I'm sure you know, is pronounced EE-oh-lus, with the accent on the first syllable.)

New Christening Ceremony

The traditional ceremony calls for a bottle of champagne to be broken across the vessel’s bow. On small boats, the bottle is usually enclosed in a fine-mesh net so that dangerous splinters of glass do not escape. Alternatively, you may open the bottle and spray the contents on the bow and forward topsides.

If you have serious objections to the use of alcohol, use any sparkling non-alcoholic drink instead. The gods will not despise you nor punish you in any way for acting according to your true conscience.

The christening is very short and simple. The essential parts are the new name, and wishes for fair winds, safe passages, and good fortune. You can make up your own ceremony if you like, but here is one example. It is to be spoken immediately before the breaking of the bottle or the spraying of its contents:

“I name this ship (________). May she bring fair winds, safe passages, and good fortune to all who sail on her.”

(From How to Rename your Boat and 19 Other Useful Ceremonies, Superstitions, Prayers, Rituals, and Curses,published by Paradise Cay Publications.)
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Thanks for the information, its certainly food for thought.

Christy was the previous owners German Shepherd, The previous owner bought the boat in 1979, so was only the second owner. I know he changed the name of the boat, so not sure how that works for me!!!
Rich Tolley
Mandurah, WA.