Ronstan furler - Am I right in thinking ...

cruiserpete

Ronstan furler - Am I right in thinking ...

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,

Am I right in thinking that a/ the jib's tack is connected to the snap-shackle, then hanked onto the forestay and of course raised by its halyard, b/ the forestay is usual standing rigging however, c/ there is a short wire with an eyelet attached about 45cm up the stay which I can only imagine a small block & tackle goes between it and highfield lever (I think that's what it's called) for stay /jib tension??.

The halyard does not seen to feed back the the furler hence the extra wire & eyelet attached to the forestay for possible a block & tackle to make adjustments. (I'm a little unsure on what adjustments can be made on the forestay using this arrangement ?)

Now... am I correct in thinking that the WHOLE lot turns around the forestay ? given that the forestay has a top swivel thus, wrapping the sail around the stay? The jib sheets unwrap the jib and the furler drum wraps the jib??

Another view

Furler close up

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Ronstan furler - Am I right in thinking ...

Post by Ozzie »

Yep.

I attach the return tensioner into a pre tied loop on the halyard with a small tent spring . It provides all the tension you need on the system in my experience. I've been told or read in the vintage 563 documents that the swages on strop is used to raise the mast leaving the main stay free to attach to the furler.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Right o, after more reading (Moreton Investigator Association articles) it seems that the short length of wire with the eyelet swagged to the forestay is to attach a block & tackle to aid in lifting the mast and ALSO in tensioning the forestay.

I might attach a block & tackle to the forestay attachment and 'test' out the mast raising theory that is mentioned in the Morton Investigator article: Commissioning and Rigging - Rigging - Erecting the mast