Just joined and looking for a Tasmanian Investigator 563

General Sailing Talk
cruiserpete

Just joined and looking for a Tasmanian Investigator 563

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,

Well after 20+ year away from sailing I've decided to get back into sailing. After a few months searching I've decided that the Investigator 563 is the yacht for me. :)

My plan is to get out on the waters of The Tasmanian North West Coast and start refreshing my sailing skills (Navigation, boat handling and seamanship). I'm looking at sailing single handed thus I needed a boat like the 563 that is easily sailed single handed (quite a few are), sea worthy and suits my somewhat limited budget. The 563 also suits my merge 1200 kg towing capabilities and I like the interior layout believe it or not I also like the circular bulk head separating the cabin from V berth.

As mentioned, the Investigator 563 ticks a lot of boxes if not all for me. Wow, there are so many good points to the 563 that suited my needs but I guess one of the main points (1 of many good points) was its righting ability as I'll be exposed to Bass Strait where I'll do most of my sailing for now and there are not a lot of sheltered options along the coast. Although, I'm not contemplating rough weather sailing it's good to know that the 563 can handle its self and of course me.

My ultimate goal is to get a keel boat and take a long single handed cruise of approx 3 months in a few years when my long service leave falls due so the 563 will be my stepping stone to something about 27-34ft for longer and further ocean voyages.

I'm on the lookout for a 563 in Tasmania so if any pop up I would certainly appreciate a heads up from members. I think a Melb purchase would not be feasible (albeit, still possible) because it will cost me close to $2000 to get to Melb and back to Tas with a boat in tow and unless I got a substantial allowance on price the cost of collecting and returning back to Tas would be better spent on fitting out/new outboard etc... but never say never.

It's great to be on your forum (I'm on trailersailerplace and some of their members suggested this forum).
Great to be here, :D
Cheers, Pete
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Just joined and looking for a Tasmanian Investigator 563

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome mate this is text I just posted on TSP in case you see this first.

Pete, don't overlook placing a Wanted ad. You may strike a 563 owner who has been thinking of selling or a person who has one and there spouse wants it out of the back yard. It's how I got my 563 , although the ad was not Investigator specific .

Cant hurt to try.

Top boat , we love ours simplicity and style.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Ozzie wrote:Welcome mate this is text I just posted on TSP in case you see this first.

Pete, don't overlook placing a Wanted ad. You may strike a 563 owner who has been thinking of selling or a person who has one and there spouse wants it out of the back yard. It's how I got my 563 , although the ad was not Investigator specific .

Cant hurt to try.

Top boat , we love ours simplicity and style.
Hi Ozzie

Thanks for the heads up mate,
I posted on the for sale section of trailersailerplace (in both public and TSP sections).
I might widen the scope of my "wanted - Investigator563 or similar trailer sailer" on gumtree and the like.

Cheers mate and thanks for the link to this forum.
Pete
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Pete
You might be able to find somone who wants to come to Tas for a holiday, who can bring a boat across.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

Pete, whats you budget?
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

sol invictus wrote:Pete, whats you budget?
My budget is unfortunately low at $5000 but I'm negotiable ? The bulk of my funds are going towards a keel boat in the range of 27-34ish feet so I really don't want to invest much in a trailer sailer other than to get something sea worthy and that I can get out sailing. Thus, I restricted myself to $5000 and resided in the fact that I may need to wait a while...maybe a long while maybe a short while but this is all factored into my pla. I guess, although, I'm keen to get out sailing I'm happy to wait as well.

I'll bide my time, add a bit more to my budget and unless something comes up close to my price range I'll probably invest in a 563 later in the year when my funds improve. For the time being I'll bide my time with the local sailing club and practising some navigation.
I'm resigned to waiting and seeing what pops up .... but I really don't want to put lots into a trailer sailer because I'm working towards a keel boat. The trailer sailer is to get me about here & there on the water and sailing but a keel boat is my aim.
Cheers, Pete

NOTE: I've placed a few WANTED ads for an Investigator 563, Sunmaid 20 or similar around the place and have had 3 replies in 1 day bugger me :) ... 2 Investigators and 1 Hartley. I got a Facebook message from a close family friend living in New castle re an Investigator 563 for $3250 on a trailer (not reg) but the boat is in good condition other than a bit of cosmetic TLC in the cabin but the hull/rigging is Good (for its age lol) and I got a reply from a local Tassie Bloke who has an Investigator 563 for $7500 but he is outside my low budget and my missus will not stretch the budget further (The Horse 'we' SHE just bought cost $5000 so the boat cannot cost more hence, limited budget). The Tassie 563 needs the toerail/gunwale refitted because it was taken off (could not hear on the mobile why it was taken off) but all I could think was problem!!!!!! with the deck and hull bond??? although, I might be barking up the wrong tree with my assumption. I'm interested in his 563 if he is willing to sell for less but again, I may need to bide my time.
Lastly, the Hartley although, I'm sure is a superb boat it is not what I'm interested in.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

From what I have heard, horses are even more expensive to run then yachts. Sure you can afford a horse and a boat?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Yara50 wrote:From what I have heard, horses are even more expensive to run then yachts. Sure you can afford a horse and a boat?
Hope so,

Ah, the Horse belongs to my partner as she use to ride endurance but now wants to do dressage. She decided that coming home from work with only house cleaning to look forward to sucked (I clean as well!!!!) so we decided to sell the Jayco that was only used once and get 'things' that would get more use thus, a horse for her and a TS for me. Essentially we sold the Jayco Camper trailer and used the sale to fund the horse (+ horsey items) and the 'change' for a Trailer Sailer. :)

My search started looking for a keel V's Trailer Sailer but I soon warmed very quickly to the value of a TS to sail with relative ease whilst I'm re-learning the ropes. A TS gives me the superb ability to trailer to lots of different spots inTassie because where we live on the North West Coast is pretty barren coastline and worse it's fairly open to Bass Strait without much in the way of safe area's to 'run for cover' should the weather turn. Although, good seamanship would most likely dictate what the hell was I thinking going out when the weather was forecast "nasty" lol

As mentioned, I've settled on the Investigator 563 as it looks, reads and comes recommended as a fantastically seaworthy TS but I may need to bide my time until my budget matches what's for sale or what's for sale matches my budget :|

Cheers, Pete :D
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Mate ,I'm in lake Mac so if you want a heads up on the Newcastle 563, I'm happy to take a look. Wondering if it's the one at Speers point I mentioned in another post. I drove past it's old local last week but it was not on the road where it had been ,could have been moved . It looked ok .

If you pm me ill check it out and take pics. If your not interested I will post them or suggest the owner post his own so someone more local may save it. Long way to come for a boat ,plus your transport costs will be an issue so maybe not worth the hassle.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)