Weather-helm

Dr. Peter

Re: Weather-helm

Post by Dr. Peter »

Dimensions of the Hartley rudder 0.7m x 0.38 (at the top - slightly wider at the bottom)
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

no way wrote:My kick up rudder is same format as your Hartley unit except that the blade is a full foil, probably the same width as yours but from the pic I'd guess 250mm or so longer. The foil is about 45-50mm thick. It is slightly balanced as well, i.e. the leading edge is level with the transom which means it is forward of the pivot point of the pintles

My dimensions were 0.7m x 0.38m from under the rudder cheeks. If your measurement added approximately 0.25m (250mm) to the length then your rudder is just shy of a metre long in the water. Interesting.

How does your boat handle with wind and waves on the back quarter?

Have you tried it out with the centerboard up?

Do you happen to know where your rudder came from?
Peter
Pip #127
no way

Post by no way »

Don't know where blade came from as was with the boat but I ditched the crappy cheek system and had my fabricator make new s/s cheeks with uphaul and downhaul integrated as well as hinged tiller.
Spend much time running down wind both sailing and motoring as I head home down the Myalls in a nor'easter. This is usually a quartering wave pattern and she steers fine unless she surfs above hull speed and the wave pushes to round her up but I never loose heading.
If I'm motoring the board is up