Investigator insignia

General Sailing Talk
geoffr

Investigator insignia

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

I'm drawing up the Investigator logo to get some full-sized insignias cut in black vinyl to stick on my mainsail.

As I was doing this the other night, I began wondering what the insignia actually represents.

The 'I' is obvious, but the circle it sits inside has those odd protruding blocks: one at the top, and two on either side near the bottom.

Does anyone know what this circle is supposed to represent?

Also, if anyone wants a copy of the finished artwork, let me know and I can email it as a PM.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Investigator insignia

Post by Yara50 »

Not sure, but it looks to me like an opening port light. Hinge at the top, clamps at the bottom.
boat-classic-opening-portlight-253174.jpg
boat-classic-opening-portlight-253174.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I thought it may have been an obscure image of a magnifying glass....elementary really!

Has anyone (who knows how to do it) considered recreating the original "Investigator 563" sticker that went on the side? I'd buy a couple of those. John.
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

John:

I was going to do the side insignia next, so will post both when I have done them.

You'll be able to use the files to then get your own stickers cut at a local signwriter who can load a computer image file and laser cut vinyl.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Thanks Geoff, I'll watch for progress, who knows, you may have stumbled into a cottage industry here. John.
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

Hi all,
Here is a picture of the logo (I hope) which was on both aft quarters before Olmate's paint job. Were they all there or some on cabin top sides?
I have others with tape measure laid on horizontal and vertical for sending to printer. Was quoted about $54 each.
Graeme
Attachments
phpVhaLMAAM.JPG
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Graeme:

Thanks for posting this. It is a much better image than the photo I'm working from, which is a close-up of the hand-painted logotype on the cabin side of my boat.

In my case the typeface is hand-drawn, so you can't just replicate it using a font found on the computer.

However, I've tried to trace your image electronically and the resolution is not high enough on this image. Can you email me a higher resolution copy please?

I have sent you a PM with my email address in it. Many thanks,

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
johnw810

Post by johnw810 »

See attached Jpeg File
John
Mokum 145
Attachments
Investigator Logo.jpg
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks for this John.

I'm currently preparing a resolution independent vector drawing of the logotype, which will mean that a sign writer, designer, etc can enlarge it to whatever size is required, without the image turning to a pixellated mess - as happens if you enlarge a jpeg, bitmap, etc.

Almost finished.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again all:

I'm stuck home today nursing a very sore molar that's just been capped at the dentist, so I'm distracting myself by completing some artwork I started ages ago.

I've now completed my drawing for the Investigator sail logo, and have the artwork available at full size (about 30cm diameter) as a PDF or as an Illustrator file -- both as an outline and as a filled in object.

Please see the attached samples below.

As the full-sized files are over 2M each, I can't post them here for download -- so if anyone wants these just send me a PM with your email address attached and I'll shoot it out to you.

You can then print these out at full-size, and use them as templates for getting vinyl logos cut to stick onto your sails, if they are not already marked.

I'm now completing the Investigator logotype and will post those files up shortly too.

Cheers,
Attachments
Inv_logo_solid_small.tif
Inv_logo_solid_small.tif (37.98 KiB) Viewed 7968 times
Inv_logo_outline_small.tif
Inv_logo_outline_small.tif (42.73 KiB) Viewed 7968 times
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'