Tiller Clutch

Mark

Tiller Clutch

Post by Mark »

I thought readers might be interested in the great little device, I just bought and installed one. Its called the Tiller Clutch here is the link
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/.
On Aminee I inherited a similar albeit inferior plastic device which has sort of served my needs for the last year but it was frustrating to use and was almost completely broken hence my search for a replacement.
I use this mainly when want the boat to hold into the wind when raising the main, and the odd time I needed to do something handsfree for a short spell. Its not a handsfree sailing device, just an aid to give you time to do short tasks and not be tied to the tiller for every second.
Although I havent tried the Tiller clutch I installed yesterday on the water, already I see it is a superior product. It holds the tiller absolutely firm and the release handle is a delight to use. This combined with my homemade self steering device (for use on longer journeys) gives me lots of options for moving around the boat that I didn't have previously. I bought the TC from the above site and it took about 10-12 days to arrive.

Cheers

Mark
Dr. Peter

Re: Tiller Clutch

Post by Dr. Peter »

That's a neat looking gadget. I look forward to an on-water report if you get time.
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Re: Tiller Clutch & New tiller

Post by Mark »

All

I post some photos of the new tiller I made and installed on Aminee this week. It also shows the Tiller Clutch in place. This tiller was made from an exotic hardwood implement handle purchased from a local hardware store for $19, fashioned to fit the rudder attachment, varnished and now installed.

Note I post a picture of a small brace I added to the tiller to add extra support. However its firm in its rudder cavity. Should the tiller ever break, this brace could be used to support a temporary tiller to get one out of trouble (at least thats my thinking). I have been pondering as part of my preparations for some costal excursions what would I do in such a situation, the other alternative is to remove the tiller attachment on the top of the rudder and screw in place a temp handle this could be a simple pole or other piece of gear I have on board. Anyway here are the pics.
Last edited by Mark on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

picture of the tiller clutch
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

A pick handle - well done!
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Mark:

Well done on the new tiller handle!

I bought a replacement hardwood axe handle about six months ago to do exactly this. It has a lovely curve and is readily shaped for gripping by the hand: something I could not achieve in the workshop trying to shape a piece of raw hardwood.

I think it cost me about $20 and is just the right length.

I now have to fashion a wooden/SS mount at the end of the axe handle to slot into the top of the SS rudder bracket. I'll post some pics once I've done this.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Mark

Post by Mark »

Geoff

yes it was your mention of that in another post that prompted me to try this out, so thanks for the suggestion. God luck with your project.

Cheers

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

All

I can after trying the tiller Clutch out this week highly recommend this brand if you are contemplating such an addition. A breeze to use and very useful for those quick moments when you need free hands, it also worked perfectly when i was into the wind and raising the main, boat stayed dead on point.

Cheers

Mark