Self Steering tiller to mainsheet

Mark

Self Steering tiller to mainsheet

Post by Mark »

Hi All

I am planning some small coastal excursions in the spring which will involve several hours of non-stop sailing solo. I have therefore been looking into self steering systems. I don't want to use an auto tiller or wind vane system but am interested in tiller to mainsheet systems which are cheap to set up and seem to work well for a lot of people.

My Question: Has anyone on the I563 community set up such a system and have it working? If so can you post pictures and or diagrams of your setup.?

I have a good idea of how to set up but want to make sure its done right. I suspect something like this may have existed on my yacht under previous owner as I found a strange collections of cords and pulleys attached to the stern on purchase but didn't understand what it was for and removed it.

Thanks

Mark
Yara50

Re: Self Steering tiller to mainsheet

Post by Yara50 »

Mark -see my post regarding the John Crawford site. There is an article there on the sheet self steering system. It is different for each point of sailing, so probably would only be good if you were doing long open water legs.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Ian got it will study. I have been to hat site many times a good reminder form this and your other post today to check it out as a first port of call. Yes I understand the different points of sail issue, and only plan to use for long hauls on a set point.

Regards

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

All:

I have developed a self steering setup based on information from the web, a book and the original Investigator article on this subject. I tested this last week on the water and again today under variable conditions. It basically works well when sailing windward or on a reach, needs some tuning on a run but still works. This is not a one off thng and everone says you have to 'tune it' for your boat. That is true but I am now confident it wil work on Aminee. My next test will be in strong winds as I have only tested in 3-9kt winds so far.

Anyway here is a link to a video I made during my first trial last week, I made another today and will post if anyone interested.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es-Fw0N8FlM

cheers

Mark
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Hi Mark,
The video presented it very well and it sure seemed to be working.
Thanks for posting it.

Larry
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Bloody brilliant! In the video there seems to be very little weather helm, yet you were under mainsail only. Did you raise the center board a touch to get balance?
Ian B
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ian, the conditions were pretty benign and no I didn't have the CB up it was down fully. Two days after that vid was shot I did another test run with a few mods and head and main up in about 5kt winds doing about 2-2.5 kts, It worked as demonstrated except on a run and broad reach where it was variable. Windward it fine. I have to work out how the adjust for these variables.
I plan my 3rd test to be in winds around 10kts and see it how all goes, with luck that might be this Friday
Regards
Mark
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Well done, Mark. Very interesting. I thought the clutch was interesting too (other post).

Just a point. I sail with wife and we already find the cockpit modestly sized. I usually end up with the tiller going under at least one of my legs during brisk windward work. It seems to me that, with these gadgets, we are starting to get a lot of line down the back of the boat. How do you intend to manage that?
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Peter
Have you got one of the original tillers? Ours is hinged so that it can lift over the knees, and be totally lifted to the vertical and out of the way, when not sailing. It also has a cunning friction clamp so that if I fall on the tiller it gives way without breaking. Only happened once so far, but saves a lot of hassles if you don't have a broken tiller.
Ian B
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I must have an original. I put it in the slot over the rudder, made with bent stainless, and use a bit coathanger wire to ensure it doesn't come out.

Just on my last post I just realised Mark is going solo so will have more space. but I think my point stands. There will be lots of line back there.
Peter
Pip #127