Palamida is for sale

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

Palamida is for sale

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

I have been offered a position in Malaysia which I am in the process of accepting.
All the scholastic endevour has come to fruition.

I have placed a discussion under the for sale section of the forum, as well as on trailersailerplace and Ebay.

Cheers, Robert
LarryW

Re: Palamida is for sale

Post by LarryW »

Robert you will be missed.
I will hate to see you go but I am very happy that you are moving on to bigger and better things. I hope you and Heather have a wonderful time moving into your new life.

I have had a bunch of things keeping me away from my wonderful Investigator. I was tempted to sell her a number of times, but needed it as a carrot on the end of a stick. You post and videos always provided a bit of light (as in Light a candle rather than curse the darkness). Thank you for that.

Sad thing is that I will be leaving work behind me in a month and was hoping to finally have a companion sail with you.

All the Best
Larry
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I totally echo Larry's comments. Wish you all the best in your new venture Robert. From what I hear from a friend of mine, Malaysia has a lovely lifestyle for expats, - the food is great, and the people friendly.

Robert was the No 2 member on the first Investigator563 web site, and I would also like to add my thanks Robert, for your support over the years. Your videos are great, and your adventurous spirit much admired.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Here, here!

Good luck with the new venture.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Same from me Robert. I don't have any videos of my boat so when people ask me why I sail and why I sail an Investigator , I always show them yours.

I assume your career move is to do with your music and I envy you for continued enjoyment of your craft. I have become jaded after many years in bands, but had a wonderful 4 days last week at the St Albans Folk Festival. Saw some wonderful musicians and even got to jam with a few around the fire on two nights. Saturday till 3.30 am, way past my bedtime. Makes me realise you need to evolve in what you enjoy or it becomes boring. I was not really a folky but have taken a new interest after the festival.

Good luck in your new endeavors. Don't leave the forum ...you are now deputized as our OS correspondent on the sailing scene over there ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your kind remarks.
The boat didn't sell on Ebay (I thought it was an honest price, but it is a depressed market), but someone is coming round this Sunday to have a look at it.
I'm glad that you have enjoyed the videos. I enjoyed making them.

Yes, it is music that draws me away. Something that I have always enjoyed and just stuck at it. Have almost finished the PhD with just the Exegesis (thesis) to go. I'm finding it hard to write about the music and would much rather be creating it.
The job in Malaysia is as a Music Composition Lecturer, at a University that specializes in training teachers, so with my 20yrs of teaching experience, I should fit in. I am rather scared though.
Big deal shifting countries, even if it is for only a few years.

I hope to sneak back into the forum occassionally to peak around, and make myself home-sick.

Kindly, Robert
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Robert:

Like others here, I too have relly enjoyed your videos; they are very inspiring!

I've also combined the past decade sailing with completing a PhD, so I think I understand something of the life-changing experience that comes with finally completing such a massive amount of work.

A bit like restoring a boat: it's never-ending!

Good luck for the future!

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Great to see someone with a spirit of adventure and love of music.
Best wishes on your new adventure Robert.
And keep those videos coming
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Sold.!!
Palamida was taken away today.
I find myself sad and grieving a little.

Thanks for all your best wishes.

Kindly, Robert
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Robert,

You never know what you might find hiding on your hard drive. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane.

Hi Folks,

I went to have a look at the Investigator 563 for sale at 'Sunshine Coast Yacht Sales' (nice folk). Well it wasn't there was it! Had to drive off to another address, only to find it with a 'for sale' sign on it. Oh my God!! Had I known I could've gone direct and saved some cash!! Ah well....I wouldn't of known if it wasn't for the brockers advertising it. Better give'm their due.

The trailer was in quite good nick. Registered. No apparent rust. Bearing buddies, oiled springs, disc brakes, extension arm for lauching at a shallow ramp.

6 horse power Evenrude.

The boat (called Palamida....not sure what it means. Sounds Spanish) has been hurredly/poorly packed up, but, appears to be in OK nick for its age and the fact that it wasn't undercover. Some rot in the wooden strip (what is this bit called? Is it the 'sheerstrake' or is it the 'beam shelf') that runs round the boat edge where the hull meets the bulwark/deck, but only on one side and only for a few feet. I hope that this will not be too hard to replace.

I walked all over it and it seemed strong and I could not detect any 'give' or evidence of delaminating, nor any bubbles or faults in the fibreglass of the hull.. All stainless steel fittings with alloy mast, which all seemed good. Pulpit rail and another rail at the transom with wires running between. Two small winches (does not take a handle...?? I wonder how efficient they are?).

The sails were rolled up. The main round the boom (roller reefing) and the foresail comes with a self-furling mechanism and is still furled up (tisk tisk....I wonder how long these has been like this). There is a spinnacker and pole and boom tent.

All ropes looked in good condition and there was a fisherman's anchor and a small plow anchor. Hand held marine radio. Flares with expiry date 1997 !!!

On the downside of things, somewhere along the line she has been left in the water and attracted a few barnacles. These have been scraped off (except where the rollers on the trailer forbid access) but there has been no attempt to clean it up any further with 'wet and dry' etc. The porta-potty is missing.

So we made a bit of a deal about the rot and the barnacles. Then we went back to the sales office. After a brief discussion between ourselves (that is Heather and I) we decided to make an offer of $4800 to take it as is, without a test sail. This was accepted and so we signed the dotted line.

Take delivery next Saturday if all goes well with the electronic transfer of funds.

Robert
Ray
Investigator #39