Happy Australia Day

General Sailing Talk
johnw810

Happy Australia Day

Post by johnw810 »

Heading off for 4 wet days on The Hawkesbury /Cowan creek.
Let's hope the weather improves!

Mokum 145
malgyver

Re: Happy Australia Day

Post by malgyver »

We were spooked by the wet weather reports in Sydney and made an early decision to cancel our Australia Day sail on Pittwater. After we returned from an early morning movie the weather had improved so we decided to head to Narrabeen lakes where we had a great time sailing our 8' JH Dinghy, which also acts sometimes as a tender for our investigator. So we were satisfied to still be able to get on the water.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Mal
Narrabeen lake has a reputation for a little bug called the Pelican Itch. Did you "go for a swim" or have any problems with it? Also when I took my big son there to sail his 125 dinghy, the c/b kept hitting the bottom. How did you find the depth? Did you launch at the Northern end or the little beach close to the Institute of Sport?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
malgyver

Post by malgyver »

G'day Ian
We always go to Jameson Park on the Southern shore, near the sailing club. Ample free parking there, a nice little sandy beach and also shady trees to sit under. Also a ramp for the Tinny if required. We go there quite often and the kids are always swimming for hours in the water. They haven't complained of itching so far. There is a long bank that has formed roughly parallel to the beach there, about 100m out, which is a bit of a pain in the neck for sailing and outboards. You can still sail around the bank into the guts of the lake by heading in a north westerly direction from the beach. At high tide I can sail straight over the bank in our JH if I put the centreboard up a bit, but at low tide it almost exposed (Narrabeen Lake is actually a Lagoon). They have talked about dredging but they have to get passed the greenies first. Often with the kids I just tootle around within the bank close to the shore (its an 8' dinghy). The bank acts like a reef and cuts the wind chop (usually from the Nor Easter in summer), which is one advantage. Soon we'll join the sailing club and the kids will race Herons their. We were given an old Heron that needs a bit of TLC.
cheers, Mal