Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' pop-top

snoopebj

Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' pop-top

Post by snoopebj »

I hasten to add most of these ideas are from the folks on this and the other excellent TSP site.
I have adapted them to my particular needs and preferences. Yet to be tested in earnest - just calm days on the lake.

POP TOP

I used three s/s barrel bolts (Bunnings) and bent the bases to approx 45 deg and bolted them into the rim of the pop top. One in the middle front and the other two either side at the back. I then dropped the roof and aligned and bolted the saddle catches to the roof (fiddly).
The end result is pretty solid and fairly straight forward after using them for a while.
I replaced the front alloy support tubes with the same larger diam tubes as the side supports.(Bunnings) I had to crimp the port side support in two place to fit snugly but now stores ok. The port support has to be lifted first and then the stbd one tucks in underneath before dropping the roof.
I had a custom top made to cover the pop top, secured all round with press studs with fixed plastic front windows and thinner side ones that roll up with a mozzie net sewn in underneath.
I'm very pleased with the result and to me looks more like a proper yacht dodger than a canvas tent type add-on and does not detract from the lines of this beaut little boat. It also strengthens the the pop-top when fully in place. (Phoenix Canvas) no affiliates.

The hatch runners I cut out of a nylon bread board and bolted them outside the four corners of the hatch - tested them then glassed them in. The hatch travels smoothly and is locked solidly via the nylon runners onto the s/s roof runners.
continued on next topic.
Attachments
poptop6.JPG
poptop1.JPG
poptop3.JPG
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
LarryW

Re: Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' pop-top

Post by LarryW »

All three of your modification post offered some good ideas.

Larry