Jib Sheeting Angles

Yara50

Jib Sheeting Angles

Post by Yara50 »

With no offence to the original designer, I am wondering about the efficiency of sheeting to the cabin top. Perhaps this results in too narrow a slot between the jib and the main.

Certainly with my old jib, which has a distinct inward leach curl, a wider slot would help. Yara has the original sheeting concept, which is two small blocks connected to the jib clew, and on each side the sheet with a fixed end and a free end, mounted on the coachroof and coming back to a cleat, and providing a 2:1 advantage. I am thinking of moving the fixed end down to either the toerail or the U bolt chainplate. This will provide a more open slot, as well as changing the vertical sheeting angle.
Take a look at http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... p?f=5&t=87. I think sail no 72 Wagtail has done that.

Comment/Experience?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Re: Jib Sheeting Angles

Post by Dr. Peter »

First of all I have the standard headsail. Originally one end of my jib sheet attached to the chainplate but this did not look at all right to me.

I attach one end of my jib to the adjustable fairlead on the cabin roof. It is held in place with a stopper knot. The other end goes back to a fixed block attached to a ringbolt fitted to the deck forward of the staunchon but not far enough forward that it enters the cabin area (the other end of the bolt is found inside the lazarette). The sheeting angles are superb over quite a wide range of sailing conditions.

With longer sheets I plan to attach both ends to this rearward position and allow the top of the leech to spill air and depower.

Peter

Commodore Yarrawonga YC
Investigator 563 - Pip #127
Maricat 4.3 - La Ma Tai #2416
Harley 18 Camp Cruiser
Peter
Pip #127