Racing (like a snail).

General Sailing Talk
Olmate-sail156

Racing (like a snail).

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

I have had Olmate sail no. 156 for about 8 years now and love its simplicity and solidness and robust sailing abilities. I would circumnavigate in it.
However, as a means of providing a purpose and context for sailing we participate in handicapped club races with the local yacht club.
We are disillusioned with not being a part of the party ie. always left well behind. It seems to boil down to power to weight and pointing ability.
We are just too slow except for downwind in very light conditions and even using a genoa and spinnaker didn't help too much and we have worked on our sailing skills.
Pointing ability seems to be the other achilles heel. The no go zone appears to cover about 55 degrees whereas other boats seem to knock at least 10 degrees off this.
Does any body have any suggestions other than commiserations?
I am resigned to probably selling it to enable getting something faster and maybe a bit bigger for improved overnight accommodation.
Any buyers out there?
Graeme
Dr. Peter

Re: Racing (like a snail).

Post by Dr. Peter »

I have a couple of points:
1. How old are your sails? Sails are the engine room.
2. As another possibiity - have more than one boat. I race a Maricat and use the Investigator for cruising. My wife crews in a trailer sailer.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Other thoughts include: empty the boat. Two friends of mine both own Timpenny 770s and one is pared down while the other is carrying a lot of crap. Guess which one I can sail away from in my I563?

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

Thanks Peter,
All the unnecessary weight is out. I guess they are just not racing boat but I will continue to hone skills whilst I persevere.
Graeme
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Alternative jib sheeting on "Abel Tasman"
Alternative jib sheeting on "Abel Tasman"
Please dont take offence, but are you sure your centreboard is down when going to windward? It makes a big difference to the pointing ability. Also check the leach of the jib. My original jib has an inward curling leach from old age, and it tends to back-wind the main. You might also see how you go if you mount the jib sheet blocks on the side decks rather than the cabin top as original.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

You did not say how old your sails are?
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

Thank you Peter and Ian,
The centreboard functions well though I imagine if it were bigger it would be more effective.
The sails came with the boat except for the genoa which I bought second hand as being close to the specs on the technical page. In recently took them all to Craig Hunter, sailmaker at Taree who gave them a workup (cleaning up the luffs and a top batten fix) and pronounced them sound. Interestingly he advised using the jib rather than the genoa in all but the lightest winds for pointing ability.
He also advised that the mast should be perpendicular to the waterline which I believe I have achieved.
I put another longer track outside the handrail for the genoa and use the original miniscule one for the jib assuming that Mr Shepherd had worked that out to be best.
Graeme
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

From another topic I looked up CBHs at:

http://www.trailableyacht.com.au/?Page= ... 2F53170%2F

It said 0.594.

This does not indicate a fast boat.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

Peter,
That is the indisputable fact.
After coming last at the last race where we began with a handicap of .583 we are now on .563 which suggests that there is room to develop sail trim and tactical skills further.
I will however prepare Olmate for sale which involves a paint job. I have been investigating materials but am still not clear. It seems two coats of epoxy resin undercoat are advisable but I don't know whether what goes over that is polyurethane or epoxy resin.
It's also a question whether it's worth the work and cost or not because Investigators seem to be going very cheaply. It owes me about $7k now.
BTW. Those seeming ebay scammers have quite a business going with all good reviews from buyers.
Graeme
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Epoxy provides good adhesion, so goes on first. Polyurethane provides waterproofing, so goes on last.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara