Fishfinder Transducer Mounting.

Yara50

Fishfinder Transducer Mounting.

Post by Yara50 »

The ones designed to fit on a transom bracket also work when fitted inside the hull, provided the hull is solid and the connection is by bedding in a compound with no air. I used silicone sealant and mounted the tranducer in the start of the skeg, in between the forward V berths. Then ran the cable back in the skeg to the unit, which is bulkhead mounted to the cockpit. Works a treat!
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Yara50

Re: Fishfinder Transducer Mounting.

Post by Yara50 »

One manufacturer says:
"This installation requires slow-cure two-part epoxy. Do not use silicone or any other soft adhesive to
install the transducer, as this material reduces the sensitivity of the unit. Do not use five-minute epoxy,
as it has a tendency to cure before all the air bubbles can be purged, thus reducing signal strength."

I see their point, however my installation with good quality silicone still works well, possibly because there is only a thin film between the transducer and the hull, and maybe also due to the fact that I made sure there were no bubbles in the silicone by making one continuous puddle. As in most cases we are using the unit as a depth sounder, loss of fish finding sensitivity is less important.
Ian B
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Ian:

The first part of this thread seems to be missing, but I recollect reading it somewhere else - but now can't remember where.

Are you able to repost this please? I think it mentioned something about using play-dough or plasticine to bed the transducer in too.

I've just fitted a transducer to my transom, but reckon it will snap off next time I launch it.

I was unaware until I read your post that you could mount these things inside. That would be a great idea if it works OK.

Many thanks,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Geoff
I think you were maybe looking at comment on TSP http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... Fishfinder
Silicone worked fine for me. Less permanent than epoxy resin, but more permanent than playdough.
Ian B