What have you done with the space under the V Berth?

Dr. Peter

What have you done with the space under the V Berth?

Post by Dr. Peter »

My wife and I sleep in the quarter berths and use the V berth for storage. It holds a lot. But what to do with the space underneath the V berth?

What do you do with yours?

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Re: What have you done with the space under the V Berth?

Post by geoffr »

Peter:

Good question! I understand that on some Investigators, the under berth areas are sealed and filled with flotation foam.

My boat has open hatches, with marine ply lids.

In my very front locker area I have glassed in a new ply floor and placed my battery there.

On my port and starboard lockers I will probably do as I did on my previous boat: either store my spare PFDs to assist flotation or, more likely, I'll put my plastic tool and spares boxes on either side, being careful to balance the weight.

I also have a spare anchor, but that will probably go in a square bucket under the cabin step.

Cheers.
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

My battery has been installed under the cockpit floor and behind the step. I don't have side lockers like you mention. The quarterberths are sealed but have recesses moulded in. One recess is like a small bucket whilst the other is shaped like a square basin. There are lids for both.

The idea of glassing in a shelf is a good one. Still need to figure out what to put there.

Peter
no way

Post by no way »

Under the forward (v) berth in the centre is the flexible 50litre Fresh water tank with the filler in the anchor locker. On either side are quite deep lockers which contain spare clip-on covers and lines, which are not used often, such as rear panel for the sun awning and the foredeck rain cover for hatch.
I cut out the bunk tops of the settees (but left the "ice buckets") and sealed them properly from the bilge - used for nonperishable food,wine etc. stored in plastic bins. This area was not sealed satisfactorily enough to provide buoyancy.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Water storage
Sounds good. You can add water without moving stuff and I assume decant water too. How is yours plumbed up?
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

On Yara the two V berths are still sealed. Between them is the flexible water tank, and rigid water container. A plastic tube leads from the flexible (collapsable) tank to a pump in the port cockpit locker.
See http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... +sole#p701
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Post by no way »

When I say the area between the v berth isn't sealed it does have a screw down panel.
Similar to Yara I have a 50 l flexi tank forward with a pump in the starboard locker - this feeds the sink in that locker and a shower on the transom. Be aware that pumps use a lot of power so you need to take that into consideration when working out the electrics my battery is under the cockpit just behind the scompanionway steps. I have an all LED boat except for pump and CD player - motor has charger and I use small solar panels but still have to remove battery to 240v charger occassionally.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Thought I'd update this post.

I keep the electric kettle, a good length of power extension cord, spare candles and 'boat-guitar'. These are things I might use tied up at the dock.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Off topic, but what kind of boat guitar? I tried one of those traveller type headless electric types, but found that the balance was terrible. Ended up with a full size cheapie from Aldi.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
uische

Post by uische »

geoffr wrote:Peter:

CheersGood question! I understand that on some Investigators, the under berth areas are sealed and filled with flotation foam.
Mine are sealed but they sound hallow, I dont think there is any foam. Has anyone cut open the sealed V berth to make storage space? any advice pro/cons?

cheers

JP