New Investigtor Owner, Batemans Bay NSW

General Sailing Talk
Mark

New Investigtor Owner, Batemans Bay NSW

Post by Mark »

Hi Everyone, just joined the board as a new owner of an Investigator. I have it located here in Batemans Bay, NSW, its stored rigged in the BBSC new Mast Up Facility which is great and near a boat ramp. I still haven't actually sailed yet as I have been getting it ready, but will do so over the next week. This yacht was originally from Lake Jindabyne NSW and has never been sailed in salt water before. It was called Snow Dancing when I bought it and I have renamed to Aminee. I am posting and image it it below and once I get underway will post some more and maybe video. This board has been a really useful resource for me in getting the the boat ship shape.
snoopebj

Re: New Investigtor Owner, Batemans Bay NSW

Post by snoopebj »

Greetings Mark
Not many of us Investigator owners round this neck of the woods. It sounds like an ideal situation near a ramp and yacht club - a beaut spot as well.
Good luck with your refit and launch. I'm in the process of doing the same here in the Gong. What started as a few simple renovations turned into a big project. However its all part of the fun. Might meet up with you In Jervis Bay closer to summer.
cheers
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Mark:

Welcome to our small but enthusiastic circle of Investigator owners around the country!

I'm a bit like you: I am refurbishing my boat that I bought last November. It's sitting under some tarps on my front lawn, as I work on making the interior fittings in my shed (where it's not nearly so cold this winter). You can see my progress elsewhere on this site, and I'll be adding some more pics soon of my latest work, which includes some woodwork and metalwork to hold my stove and electrics.

When I'm not working on this boat, I crew on another friend's racing boat on Corio Bay; it's an Elliot Seven Seventy, which is built for speed, rather than comfort.

I learn a lot from sailing with other guys on other boats; all experience comes in handy! I also learn a lot from reading the posts on this site, looking at the photos, and also visiting the bigger picture over at TSP.

If by some remote chance you ever visit Geelong, please look us up. The GTYC always welcomes visiting boats, skippers and crew!

Cheers!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome to merry band Mark!
Boat looks good- please most more pics on any area you would like to discuss. One thing I noted from your pic is the trailer "bunks". These are the strips down the side to hold the boat upright. The concept is based on submerging the trailer to launch. You dont need to do that if your trailer is a tilt trailer, and many of us have found it a good idea to convert to wobble rollers instead of bunks.
I will post some pics in the technical section.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks everyone who replied for the welcome, most appreciated. I was intrigued by Yara50 and the Wobbles. Thanks for suggestions and posted pics, I might consider this, it has two new wobbles on the back but with those slides it takes a god push to float off. I need to save some more pennies to make more changes.

One question:I am having a devil of a time working out electrics on board. Just using a 12V Battery in the cockpit locker compartment but cant get anything to light up - also found a strange 2 prong plug in cockpit locker LHS wired which seemed to feed all the electricals - wired it up to battery but still no juice. Be interested in learning what people have done for this I only need for nav and cabin light. BTW fuses seem ok in the cabin fusebox but might replace incase.

I will post pictures in near future.

Cheers

Mark
no way

Post by no way »

Mark
2 prong plug may be to connect lighting coil/charger on the motor to your electrics. It also may not connect to your current o/b but to a previous one?
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome aboard mate

Boat looks like a nice one. I have trailer bunks, the secret is to let then down a little before launch. Use the correct ring spanner as you will do it often and they may be tight.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ozzie wrote:Welcome aboard mate

Boat looks like a nice one. I have trailer bunks, the secret is to let then down a little before launch. Use the correct ring spanner as you will do it often and they may be tight.
Thanks for that hint wil do it next time, Cheers
Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi All
This week I have been out twice in Aminee, it sails well and day 1 we had a good breeze and day 2 was pretty much windless - the really good thing about these tow session with experienced sailors was I got to make small modifications to the boat and work out my workflow better. all in al a very god week, and the weather here in Bateman's Bay has been perfect averaging around 17oC this week dring the day.

Next tasks are to get the electrics working.

Cheers

Mark
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Mark wrote:
Next tasks are to get the electrics working.

Cheers

Mark

Post is a bit old but have you turned the system on? My electrical system has a two position switch with an off and on position. 12:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock ( or something like that.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127