kevwr400

Re: Condensation in the cabin

Post by kevwr400 »

Dr. Peter

Re: Condensation in the cabin

Post by Dr. Peter »

Kevin,
This reply refers to your 6 May post.

What a wonderful little set of links; thank you.

I would agree that in forums (especially boatdesign.com) you do get a mix of the sensible and the silly and some people use forums to pontificate (been guilty of that myself), but amongst all the hopefully well-meant ideas and suggestions (even if my boat needed to be 4X bigger for many of them to work) you do get the odd gem of an idea.

As you and others say, ventilation and simple, but SAFE, heating is the go.

As sailors we have to balance the amount of work required to deal with a problem (in this case condensation) and the number of times we are going to be affected by the issue.

You and I Iive in Victoria but I am only an occasional winter sailer, and more often than not, I crew for someone else. I sail my boats usually in better weather and only for short periods of time. I am not going to be affected a real lot by this problem so a minimalist approach is suggested for me:

A safe source of heat - candles or metho stove (I'm not sure gas is real safe).
Small vents at the foot of the quarter berths - opening up into the cockpit (seems to be little air movement here and the mattresses get very damp)
A decent vent in one of the washboards
A vent in the front hatch (seems kind of counter intuitive - but I'm thinking more about bad weather and long term on the trailer)
A means to raise the matresses up off the fibreglass and allow air to circulate under the mattresses.
A good quick-dry cloth for mopping up.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127