Condensation in the cabin

Dr. Peter

Condensation in the cabin

Post by Dr. Peter »

Went sailing for five days in Autumn and each morning we had condensation. The first morning was bad because we were on the trailer, it was raining hard and we did not have the boom tent up and we were closed up tight.

The last night was much better. We were under the boom tent and allowed plenty of airflow through the cabin.

The thing is everything gets wet especially under matresses.

I have slept in boats with proper lining of the cabin roof and walls and there is no problem but this would be a big or expensive project for me.

What are the options? What have you done to reduce condensation in the cabin generally and especially under the matresses.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Re: Condensation in the cabin

Post by geoffr »

Good question Peter!

I have just posted a near identical query on the TSP site re condensation.

I have read that cabin lining material simply disguises the problem (by absorbing moisture, rather than letting it drip or run down the walls). Apparently, In the end, you have to tear this mouldy, smelly stuff out if it gets dank enough.

My cabin is unlined, so I don't know this for sure; but nor do I want to line it and then find that out. All that contact adhesive is giving me a headache just thinking about it!

I suspect the only counter for all this is good, continuous flow-through ventilation -- and we Investigator owners are lucky in that we have a forward hatch that opens. However, that's not much compensation on the coldest nights when you are trying to keep warm and dry in the boat.

Cheers!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

ONE REPLY? AND ITS THE SAME QUESTION............
SHEEEEEET!

I am an atheist (Richard Dawkins Lives) but God apparently helps those helps those that help themselves.

I have bought some vents for the bits of the boat that don't allow airflow like the foot end of the quarter berths. When I have done this and tested it - I will report back to the forum.

Come ON!

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

If you apply insulation to the inner surface of the cabin it also needs to be a vapour barrier-in other words it must seal against moisture getting under the insulation.

Interestingly, I have overnighted on Yara on the water and not had a problem with condensation in the cabin, only on the decks. The timber sandwich does form a degree of insulation. A boom tent will also help reduce radiation to a clear sky, but I have still had wet decks. I think that when afloat, the heat from the sea helps keep the boat relatively warm, compared to on the trailer on land.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Thanks for reply.
Am I reading you right that your cabin is lined?
Mine is unadorned fibreglass
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

No lining, but only one adult and one child, breathing out moisture.
Ian B
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi Peter. found this on the web, go to the bottom and pass all the BS.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73320

Anhydrous crystal and pot based dehumidifier, Might work.

Or

Eva-Dry EDV-2200 Electric Petite Dehumidifier 12V DC

Just Ebay this you can get one out of the states for around $150 although power consumption may be a problem

Or the book ' the essentials of living aboard a boat' addresses this problem.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Hi Kevwr400,
Thanks for the idea about dehumidifiers. I asked this question on another forum:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-d ... 37777.html

We are getting some answers.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

The principle is very clear- if you have a cold surface at a temperature below the dew point of the atmosphere, condensation will occur. An insulating lining inside the boat can achieve this. Alternatively a cover over the deck to stop the radiation to the sky helps.
Dehumidification is a way of dropping the dew point temp of the air, however it takes some form of energy. Chemical Dehumidification containers will work on a closed boat with no people inside, but once you have ventilation, breathing and cooking, it is a lost cause.
Hence for a boat with people inside, if you want to go the dehumidification route, you need power, and lots of it. Cooling the air below dew point and then re-heating is the way air conditioners do it- not practical on our size of boat.
A flued flame heater is possible. I have toyed with the idea of something like this using the stove, but it is a lot of messing around and only applicable to winter conditions.
So where does this leave us? Back to insulation!
Ian B
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi Peter
Followed link, interesting!!! If I had to read once more about the science of water inside my boat I will vomit!
I think your question was ' I have this wet stuff inside ( condensation) and out side of my boat (water) I want to keep the wet stuff on the outside and get rid of it on the inside!!!
Sorry about the rant but if I ever had to sit in there company with a beer or a wine or both I think I would have blood on my hands!
Back to question.

For you and me in Victoria we have 2 problems it gets bloody cold and lovely and warm. After spending last week up at the lakes, I to had the same problem. The people that I would enjoy a beer or wine or both with came up with the same thought, 100% guaranteed, "HEAT THE BLOODY THING UP"

I to have the same thought it's just a small boat. You burnt one candle and problem improved.

Dehumidifier out, to heavy on power. Battery heater ($30 on ebay) think feasible, but I question its safety! Wood, not enough space! My solution Metho heater, safe, cheap, reliable and you don’t need chimney just good ventilation, which of course is the solution in the warmer months, although I don’t have too much of a problem in summer only on the cool nights when I think I would think about turning the metho heater on anyway. The scientific reason for this phenomenon you will have to contact the people I wish not to have a beer or wine or both with.

I don’t know if your into making your own stuff? But it is one of the easiest things to make. Here is a sight I found.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-featu ... /6227.html

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

And this is a beauty!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/rfh/Miscella ... 0Bits.html

Have my own idea's on a Metho heater will post when I get a change to make it up.

Summer, ventilation, ventilation! Think once of those 'solar day and night vents look the trick, little expensive but would be good when boat not in use to. Mine lives in the drive way so plenty of sun.

Cheers Kevin

Ps: not sure what spell check I used LOL