Baby Stays

geoffr

Baby Stays

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

Does anyone out there use baby stays when they raise their masts? If so, have you fitted dedicated anchor points, or do you use existing anchor points?

I'm keen to use these stays, as I once witnessed a very nasty accident at a launch place where a mast in the mid-drop position caught a gust of wind and swayed down to land on the roof of a car parked in the next bay. Say no more!

Thanks!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Baby Stays

Post by Yara50 »

Geoff
On our old site we had some info on making yokes to create mounting points for the stabilising shrouds for mast raising. The important point in design is that thes mounting points should be in line with the mast pivot.
Anyone got the time to search the old site (Multiply) and post here?

I personally went the other way. Using an A frame to assist in the force required to lift the mast, and guiding the mast on it's way upward by hand stabilisation.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Re: Baby Stays

Post by geoffr »

Thanks Ian:

I thought that might have been the case.

As well as having to be in line with the mast, I'm now wondering would the anchor points also have to be raised to be at the same height as the mast step -- so that the stays remain at exactly the same length throughout the lift and lowering of the mast?

Thanks.
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Baby Stays mast raising

Post by Yara50 »

Here is Gary's old post.
(Actually now that I re-read it, his stabilising stays are for the gin pole, not the mast, but the principle is the same. This concept is similar to my A frame sheerlegs arrangement. So Gary is still stabilising the mast by hand.)

Quote:
I have posted a few photos on my mast stepping set up. ( Thanks Ron and Terrel Chappel and TSP) The gin pole is the top bit of an old tapered dingy mast 1.8m long. I riveted a short section of 19mm track to the base of the mast, and bolted a slide into the base of the pole.

The side bridles are in 5mm spectra ( 4m required each side) with a 50mm ring positioned to line up with the pivot point on the base of the mast. I have a 50mm spring clip at each end of the bridle ( 3 each side ) When I had it all adjusted & working, I stiched the tails of each knot, to prevent slipping. I leave the bridles permanently connected at the toe rails.

On the top of the gin pole I have a double eye bolt ( one eye to port & the other to stb.) Fore /aft is a short length of 6mm punched strap through bolted, to hook the vang tackle fwd. and the jib halliard aft. I marked the tail of the jib halliard so I can cleat it in the correct position for hoisting each time. I have a snap hooks shackled to each end of the vang tackle. A short length of line is also required from the jib halliard to the top of the gin pole.

It all works well for me !

Cheers
Gary,
Sherlock 2
starting lift.JPG
halfway.JPG
bridle.JPG
Attachment.JPG
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara