Hove-to

kevwr400

Hove-to

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi all, was out sailing the other week and thought i better learn how to hove-to with my new 'investigator'. I backed the jib and set the rudder, no luck, boat wants to fall off the wind, my ultimate 16 sat perfect with this hove-to method breaking and softening the on coming waves.
so i brought 'lin & larry pardey's' book 'storm tactics - modern methods of heaving-to'. there is so many methods of heaving-to. i dont want the hassle of setting the drogue! so i thought i would put the question out there. "what methods are you guys using to hove-to, with sail rudder set for balancing the boat", i was thinking just main with rudder set, reefed or not?
Yara50

Re: Hove-to

Post by Yara50 »

We have no trouble on Yara heaving-to. The jib has to be fully backed, and of course, the main must be let out completely so that it is just "feathering". Use this often, especially when reefing the main, but also sometimes just to have lunch.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Thanks yara50, will try that next time out
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

No luck with my boat heaving-to, tried.

- backing forsail onto main and setting main at all angles.
- dropping forsail main at all angles.
- backing forsail onto reefed main on 2 different reef points, setting main at all angles.
- dropping forsail, reefed main on 2 different reef points, setting main at all angles.
- setting sea anchore on bridle. with all four previous settings and moving briddle along length of boat.

With some methods i could almost stall boat sitting around 50 degrees from the wind but unable to get the slick in front of boat to soften waves.
One person suggested dropping sails and just using sea anchore on bridle to get correct hove-to position.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or any other methods of getting the correct hove-to position?
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Kev
I think we are talking different hove to.
In my kind, the main is shaded by the jib, and is only lightly drawing, if at all, and the boat moves forward a little, stops, falls off, and repeats. C/B is down, tiller is set to leeward.

If you want the heavy weather setup, where the boat leaves a slick to windward, it has to be drifting downwind. Basically what they call "lying a-hull". In this mode you have bare poles and maybe a sea anchor or scrap of sail to keep the bow pointing up to the weather. Haven't tried this on the Investigator 563.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Thanks for reply Yara. I tried lying a-hull with the Investigator which appears to be the way the hull wants to naturally lay, but way to ferocious with the beam to the waves, as specially on the Gippsland lakes waves (to sharp and short) on a long swell it should be nice. Looks like poles and drogue on bridle, I will have to make and easy setup as I found pulling on the hand brake by backing the foresail and rudder to windward was not calming and almost as violent as lying a-hull, although boat could nilly stall. Think more trial and error. Cheers