Stanchions

Mal

Stanchions

Post by Mal »

Hi Guys,

After a long hiatus, I am now getting the Queeny J set up for my young family and I need life rails and stanchions.

Does anyone happen to know if some 2nd hand Stanchions and bases are available? I would need 4 Stanchions total.

I have checked Whitworths and they are available from there. I have a few questions if buying new
1) What angle should the stanchions be for the I563? Should the stanchion base be straight up (0°) or should it lean out (at 5° or 6°). I assume that the stanchions are 500mm in height (not 610mm).
2) There is cheap SS304 stanchions bases available from Whitworths. Has anyone had experience with these? I would prefer "heavy duty" model which is SS316 but they cost twice as much!
3) Does anyone know of an alternative supplier of economical stanchions & bases?

cheers,

Mal
Commander of the Queeny J
Yara50

Re: Stanchions

Post by Yara50 »

The stanchions on Yara are 90 degree type. The deck itself is angled outwards. 304 stainless is actually stronger than 316, but is not as good corrosion resistance. The choice is compounded these days as there is no way of knowing the quality of manufacture with generic products made in you know where.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mal

Re: Stanchions

Post by Mal »

Hi Ian

Thanks for reply. I too am worried about the corrosion resistance of SS304, and I think for piece of mind I should aim for SS316.

BTW, sorry i posted this in the gallery section accidentally.

cheers

Mal