Trailer Lights

General Sailing Talk
BobK

Trailer Lights

Post by BobK »

You may have read on TSP that some people have been given infringements by police due to perceived lack of compliance with trailer regulations.

This has led me to think about my trailer, and I think that there is a fair chance of being pulled over due to the overhang of the mast behind the trailer. I have what I believe is an original Manta trailer and the trailer/lights end a metre or more before the transom. On top of that the mast overhangs the transom by a metre or more so the mast is sticking our 2m or more behind the end of the trailer. In the daylight this might not be a big concern but at night it could be a safety risk, and a reason for a zealous policeman to pull us over.

Consequently I've had my auto electrician make up a short cable to connect my trailer lights to the boat's masthead connector. To give a red tail light I simply cut the tail off a red party balloon and that slips firmly over the LED masthead light.

Just have to remember to take off the balloon when we rig.
Attachments
Party balloon over masthead LED light
Party balloon over masthead LED light
Connection to masthead light
Connection to masthead light
Plug added to trailer lead
Plug added to trailer lead
Bob
Margarita #32
Yara50

Re: Trailer Lights

Post by Yara50 »

Very inventive!
In your pics I don't see any diamond stays on your mast. Have you removed them? Do you have a backstay?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
BobK

Post by BobK »

Yes it has a diamond stay, and also a backstay. Might not be easy to see in the pic.

I assume this is the standard rig.
Bob
Margarita #32
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

I know this is an old thread, but recently I've been reading about the zealousness with which our state authorities are now policing the regulations re towing and trailers, with the capacity of D shackles and appropriate lighting being the two apparent hot spots.

When I bought QUMBU about 3 years ago it came with an old wooden light board that its previous owner hung up high off the pushpit, facing rear. I've replaced that rig with a modern LED board, but I still hang it up high off the transom -- where I must admit it would be a little obscured by the engine hanging off the back.

I'm now thinking, having read a bit more, that my board either needs to be dropped down and back under the boat to sit on the end of the trailer itself, or perhaps I need to fit new sets of lights on either rear mudguard.

I'm also wondering if I need a yellow running light down each side.

The regulations vary between states, but I'd be keen to learn how other owners rig their lighting and whether they've had any issues with authorities.

Thanks,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia