Under the Cabin Sole

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Yara50

Under the Cabin Sole

Post by Yara50 »

Here are some shots of the deep interior. Useful for running pipes or wiring fore to aft etc. In these shots I have removed the step.
Here you can see the access hatch to the centreboard pivot.  The sole (floor) molding is usually glued down.
Here you can see the access hatch to the centreboard pivot. The sole (floor) molding is usually glued down.
P2180183 (WinCE).JPG (18.97 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
This is a view looking from under the V berth aft.  The pipe is our water pipe from the tank which is stowed in the forward V.  The whitish block is part of the glassed in lead ballast. The other object is a cockroach bait.<br />The step is the one under the porta pottie which you can see in the previous photo.
This is a view looking from under the V berth aft. The pipe is our water pipe from the tank which is stowed in the forward V. The whitish block is part of the glassed in lead ballast. The other object is a cockroach bait.
The step is the one under the porta pottie which you can see in the previous photo.
P2180189 (WinCE).JPG (18.39 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
This is the area under the step. Wooden rails support the slide out stowage bucket. The clear hose is the water hose leading to a pump in the port cockpit locker. The reinforced hose is the bilge pump suction leading to the bilge pump in the starboard cockpit locker.
This is the area under the step. Wooden rails support the slide out stowage bucket. The clear hose is the water hose leading to a pump in the port cockpit locker. The reinforced hose is the bilge pump suction leading to the bilge pump in the starboard cockpit locker.
Rails removed, you can see more of the glassed-in aft lead ballast. The dark patch is the rusting lifting loop used to install the lead.
Rails removed, you can see more of the glassed-in aft lead ballast. The dark patch is the rusting lifting loop used to install the lead.
Slide out storage buckets.  They are joined along the side with a timber strip. Normally located under the cockpit sole, and slide out under the step. One on each side.
Slide out storage buckets. They are joined along the side with a timber strip. Normally located under the cockpit sole, and slide out under the step. One on each side.
P2100178 (WinCE).JPG (13.15 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
The centreboard pivot access.  Note also the water hose on it's way aft.
The centreboard pivot access. Note also the water hose on it's way aft.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Re: Under the Cabin Sole

Post by geoffr »

Ian:

Many thanks for posting these photos. I am just this weekend about to run some plastic conduit along and under the sole, to run my battery main wiring aft from the forward storage locker, beneath the V-berth.

I only just realised the other day that it was a clear run right through under there, ideal for running all sorts of things backwards and forwards without being overly noticed.

By the way, what size are those red tubs you have strung together? Are they readily available (e.g. Bunnings)?

I'll let you know how I go with it all.

Cheers,

Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Under the Cabin Sole

Post by Yara50 »

Geoff
The buckets were bought some time ago by the previous owner. I plan to fiddle with the boat this arvo and will then measure them. Two key dimensions is height under the step, and width on the side. Also clearance if you plan to run extra conduits etc in the same space. Buckets are 220 high, 235 wide (at the top), and 350 long.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara