Whale watching cruise

General Sailing Talk
solo

Whale watching cruise

Post by solo »

Hi all
Yesterday afternoon I saw an Investigator 563 an the Highway north of Brisbane. I think it was Margarita,not sure.

This year ,during the qld September school hollydays we have our annual whale watching cruise on again. It is now less organised, we just meet at Wathumba creek around the 20th of Sept. I wonder if any other Investigators are making the trip up there this year ? I will spend 3-4 weeks up there this year, leaving from Tin Can Bay. I spend 3 weeks there last year and can`t wait to get back .
You can have a look at the Multiply Groups side Australian Yachting.
Regards Gunter
BobK

Re: Whale watching cruise

Post by BobK »

Gunter,

Yes that would have been Margarita. We put in at the marina just North of the Bribie bridge and spent Saturday night at Mission Point on Pumicestone Passage. Beautiful weather, but we didn't get a sail up all weekend. Margaret caught a nice bream for lunch.

We are planning on whale watching in September. More likely to launch from Urangan as my daughter and her family (4 grandkids) will be holidaying at Hervey Bay so we will want to be in that area.
Bob
Margarita #32
bennyboy

Post by bennyboy »

G'day Gunter, the Whale watching cruise looks very appealing, me and the misses would be into that, what form does it take,and does everyone hole up for a few nights, on some exotic beach or do we meet each day at the same launch point .where does one park the rig? :) ps do you have yellow hull,? if not who does in the Brizzy members? I am just curious as a week last Sunday I passed an investigator, we waved to each other but never made contact (my radio was out!) I seem to recall seeing one in the photo section some Months ago, and we don't seem to have that facility now,As a newish member I found browsing Through old files interesting and instructional what happened to them ? any idea? BOBK your masthead /trailer light idea was a really good idea I guess a lead from the vehicle's cigarette lighter might get the same result ? what would be the legal implications. regards BENNY (BENNYBOY)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Bennyboy-see comment in topic "Google Site" re old posts.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
bennyboy

Post by bennyboy »

Yara50 wrote:Bennyboy-see comment in topic "Google Site" re old posts.
Many thanks Ian for your old post directions, iv'e reconnected with them ! BENNYBOY :D
solo

Post by solo »

Hallo Bob and Benny
Last year most boats left from Urangan, where there are places to leave the car and trailer. Wathumba Creek is a near perfect anchorage,
safe in any wind, but you only get in or out about 3.5 hours either way of high tide. On the other side of the creek is a National park camping area with showers and toilets. It is in the remote part of Fraser Island, so remember there are no shops.
I will launch my boat again at Tin Can Bay, but I will spend about 4 week up there, potter around a little and try to catch a fish. Last year it was an experience I will never forget, everything realy beautiful and believe me I have seen most parts of the world.
Gunter
bennyboy

Post by bennyboy »

:D HI ! Gunter, thanks for the info, the areas are not ,familiar to me, but im going to check em out, i went with a couple of mates to lady Elliot and Fitzroy reef some years ago,via the inside passage of FRAZIER ISLAND and it really was a stunning area. well worth a visit. BOBK is off on his adventures again ! I like his style ! my tel no is 07-33767286 give us a call sometime,lets have a yarn! On another matter, i've noticed some minor pitting on my mast in the areas of upper& lower stay&shroud attachments.I reckon it's electrolasis do members protect their mast with sacrificial anodes? BENNYBOY
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

It may be possible the fittings were mounted without a barrier between the stainless and the aluminium. Might be worthwhile drilling out and re-fixing.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara